• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pirates at it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pirates at it again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7994980.stm

This is getting ridiculous, why doesn't someone teach em' a lesson? Bring back the Q-Boats I say.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

The Somalians can keep the boats, I would rather that then a quarter of a million of them in this country.

Comment

Surely under a Labour government we can have both an expensive Navy presence off the coast of Somalia whilst simultaneously funding a quarter of a million of them here on benefits.

Maybe we could also train their students to build chemical and biological weapons here, it would help fund rubbish universities which is of huge benefit to Britain and will help everyone to love us.

Comment

I still maintain that certain people may be encouraging and protecting these pirates, and bankrolling them, to try and manipulate commodity prices.

Probably some James Bond style arch-villain, or someone in the Kremlin come to that, paid them to hijack that oil tanker a few months ago to try and boost the price of crude oil. (Let's not forget, the Russkies are suffering acutely from the current low oil price.)

I mean come on, how could some ragtag and bobtail crew in a small speedboat hijack something like an oil tanker or cargo ship FFS? How would they even reach the main deck?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I mean come on, how could some ragtag and bobtail crew in a small speedboat hijack something like an oil tanker or cargo ship FFS? How would they even reach the main deck?
          Rocket propelled grappling hooks apparently.

You're right, other 3rd world thicko' thieves around the world haven't changed tactics in centuries yet these guy's have GPS and satellite phones.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The Maersk Alabama situation has been "resolved" - Captain Phillips rescued and three pirates killed.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              The Maersk Alabama situation has been "resolved" - Captain Phillips rescued and three pirates killed.
              I was thinking about this the other night.

With these pirate "mother ships" how about we just do a General Belgrano on them. That'll teach them.

Comment

Or just snipe them out like the Americans have just done - overall problem now solved.
                www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Well, I feel sad for the pirates and their families. They were only trying to make a living after all.

What was that ship doing there: sailing back to China empty after delivering a few hundred containers full of Nike trainers.

**But the latest stories now say it was carrying food aid for Africa, sailing to Nairobi**

Bit of a trick that, as Nairobi, last time I checked, was more than a couple of hundred miles from the coast.

Also a touch of the Belgranos there for sure, it was sailing in the wrong direction to be doing that.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Well, I feel sad for the pirates and their families. They were only trying to make a living after all....
                    I wonder how quickly your opinion would change were it your father who were kidnapped.

...and I wonder how many other people besides me will have a certain word pop into their head on reading the first sentence of your contribution.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X