• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping out of a plane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping out of a plane

Mate was at a schoolboy rugby tournament today. They had the local skydivers put on a show before the main game. Unfortunately some poor chaps chute never opened and he landed and died just behind the main stadium. Not something I have ever tried, any adrenalin junkies on this forum? I thought it was extremely uncommon these days for both the main and the reserve chute to fail?

I have to get 'medicated' to even get on a plane. Cyclizine, Lorazepam, Valium then 8 pints. I cannot remember being on a plane in 10 years, bugger jumping out of one.

Comment

Did a tandem jump last year, was great fun.

There was a notice in the toilets on the airfiled - parachuting is inherently dangerous and despite the safety precautions an accident will happen. If you can't hack it leave now. (paraphrased).
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        If you can't hack it leave now. (paraphrased).
        Is it a case of 'hacking it' or more if it's your time then so be it?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          I thought it was extremely uncommon these days for both the main and the reserve chute to fail?
          Very uncommon. In fact the reserve chute should open of its own accord as soon as you get below a certain altitude.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Is it a case of 'hacking it' or more if it's your time then so be it?
            I think the implied message was more - if you don't have the cojones take up knitting
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              I think the implied message was more - if you don't have the cojones take up knitting
              Fair enough. Not about cojones for me. Regardless of skill or ones ability to 'hack it' it seems the more jumps you do the increased likelihood that something will go wrong. I enjoy other things in life sufficiently that this I can do without.

Comment

Fair enough. Not about cojones for me. Regardless of skill or ones ability to 'hack it' it seems the more jumps you do the increased likelihood that something will go wrong. I enjoy other things in life sufficiently that this I can do without.
                Yeah, was kinda strange listening to the instructors talking among themselves about the near misses they had. Not into the macho thing myself, did the jump as a charity fund raiser. I'd do it again but I've got better things to do on weekends and anyway I like to bring the aeroplane back, much more skill involved in that.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

ISTR something similar happened several years ago, and at first the police were suspicious it might have been murder (someone sabotaging the shute).

I don't think the case was ever solved conclusively, but it became increasingly clear the shute had indeed been sabotaged - by the guy who was killed, in other words a bizarre suicide.

This could well be the same, and if so what an antisocial twat!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    ISTR something similar happened several years ago, and at first the police were suspicious it might have been murder (someone sabotaging the shute).

I don't think the case was ever solved conclusively, but it became increasingly clear the shute had indeed been sabotaged - by the guy who was killed, in other words a bizarre suicide.

This could well be the same, and if so what an antisocial twat!
                    The Stephen Hilder case.

TBH anyone that dies after jumping out of a plane should be considered suicide no matter how many chutes they have.

Comment

Working...
                    X