• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you ever employ someone that has been in prison?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you ever employ someone that has been in prison?

poll to follow.

When I work out how to do it...
    I would never
    20.00%
    I might but would keep my eye on them at all times
    22.86%
    They have paid their dues and deserve a second chance.
    48.57%
    I am andyW, mum says they deserve a smack on the bum and their internet to be removed.
    8.57%

Yes.

I know a guy I met while he was on day release from a local prison. Was working up north and he worked in this cafe down the road.

After a few weeks he told me what he was in for. Armed Robbery.

You could tell talking to this guy (young about 23) that he wasn't a hardened criminal the time was hard for him. He just got swept away with some bad eggs. He was the lookout/driver but went down with the rest of them.

I'd employ him as he was released after 6 years (so about 2 years ago now).

Not employing people becuase they have criminal records is a self fulfilling cycle. If they can't get a job they'll just resort back to crime.

Comment

One of my best frends has been in and out of prison all his life, when he was 14 he stole a car and drove it into someone's house, the chap that owned the car said that he had taken tools from the back of his motor which was untrue and to compound things he was dating the local daughter of the district sheriff, he got put away for 2 years in Polmont. This place made Shawshank look like a holiday. When you sat down at the table everyone had to walk round the table twice and when you poured a cup of tea everyone had to walk round the table. Everything had to be cleaned with a toothbrush.

He just ended up an OCD criminal. Whenever you went round his house he would be cleaning something, finish a cigarette and he would clean the ashtray before you started another.

Anyway, they should have just given him a choice in life rather than banging up to solve a problem.

Comment

The real answer is I don't really know. If someone had committed an offence of Fraud or Theft, would I trust them with my finances and assets? Would he use my trust to try and steal from me? Difficult questions to answer. I would probably say no.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It depends on the offence and their attitude towards it.

I (nor my 4 siblings) have contact with my mother due to the man she is now living with. But his offence was severe (made the front page of the sun) and his attitude towards the offence is unbelievable. He sort of implies his victims were asking for it.

Comment

Depends what they had done? I know someone who's been inside for manslaughter after defending himself from a drunk who died when falling awkwardly after being pushed, very nice chap.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Like most here I think - depends on the crime and attitude. I would like to think I would hire the best person for the job regardless.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

It would depend on the offence, but if the person had committed a crime of robbery, violence or fraud I would steer a wide berth.

Comment

Nope.

Not worth taking the chance on. In today litigious society, you'd just be opening yourself or your business up to some neferious claim by another business, an employee (whether one of yours or another business) or member of the public.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Hmm interesting question - my brother was inside for spell and is currently out on probation. The only job he could get was as a cleaner.
                    He hates it, but with a record and the current economic climate I think he's lucky to get anything.
                    I would like to think I'd employ the right person for the job despite their past.
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X