• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it as bad as it looks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it as bad as it looks?

Hi everyone -

I had to take an enforced absence from work, but i'll be coming back to it (hopefully) soon. I'm a DBA with 10 years experience, mainly Oracle, but also SQL and Sybase, and have contracted in all different industries. I used to be based in London, but will now be looking for work in Manchester...

I looked on Jobserve...not so good.

I looked on Jobstats...

Is it really so bad? Is there any work out there at all? Not just contract, but permie stuff too...

Like I said, i've been out of the races for 8 months now, so the recession job market has passed me by a bit.

What's it really like out there? When do people think it will pick up? Perhaps before the end of the year?

Cheers
    Lou

Originally posted by LouC View Post
    Is it really so bad? Is there any work out there at all? Not just contract, but permie stuff too...
    There are still roles out there, but few of them are being advertised as they are being filled long before that point.

Also rates are very depressed at the moment. It's a buyers market and Client/Agents are using that market force to the fullest.

Try and see if any of your old contacts have anything at the moment. Like I said, there is still the demand, but it is easier to fill, so they don't need to go anywhere near JobServe etc.

I keep thinking this will pick up in about 6-12 months time, but I've been saying that for the past 12 months

Comment

I'm a SQL Server DBA, and last year was on £380/day for a year, then £300/day for a new contract for 3 months this year. Now two week's work for £300/day, and nothing after that.

So yes the market is much quieter. Yet I am still getting around 1-2 calls a day from agents, and only some of them being fishing calls. Yet no interviews or job offers strangely.
      Mind you I did start applying for roles 4 weeks before my last role ended, so perhaps I shot my load too early then (if you'll pardon the expression) so agents ignored my applications.

Comment

It is quieter. My two favourite agencies tell me there's a big increase in enquiries from out-of-work contractors, and a lot from permies who have been made redundant.

The problem is the uncertainty. Every week brings more skeletons out of the economic cupboard, so lots of firms are reducing costs like mad and waiting.

Once the majority of the sh1t is out on the floor, and there's a plan to clean it up, things will start picking up again. But I can't see that happening at least until we have a change of government, because nobody would have confidence in any plans put forward by the Labour party.

Comment

Is it really so bad? Is there any work out there at all?
          1 Yes.

2 No.

Here in the NW only the nuclear sector is alive. Everything else has died a death. Rates for me have dropped from £40 to 45/hr down to £28 to 30/hr. Luckily, I'm OK till end of June, I think.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X