• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying the landlord a drink

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying the landlord a drink

So you buy a round of drink for you and your mates at the local. You offer to buy the landlord and his wife a drink also. The Landlord takes the money and comes back from the till and says you are 1.50 short. i.e let say one drink(if that)

The landlord asked for the extra money, 1.50, which would have been part of the drinks that you bought for them(in effect).

The way i see it he took a £5 tip and pocketed it.

So should he have asked for the extra £1.50 being that we never saw him have the drinks?

I believe that offering them a drink is in effect a tip.

But they may have had the drinks later?

If you are worried you should not have offered.

Comment

Local pubs' staff take £1 as a tip when you offer them a drink.

Comment

In Brum and I think further north, saying 'and one for yourself' means take a 50p-£1 tip out of the change. It sounds like they literally took the money for 2 expensive drinks. Where abouts did this happen, they obviosly either didn't understand the custom or were trying to rip you of.

Comment

These things vary depending on a variety of circumstances, such as whether it's a managed house (i.e. the landlord is an employee of the brewery), policy on drinking while working, and so forth.

If I buy a drink for one of the staff at my local pub, they may pour it there and then, or have it after their shift. At another local bar, they aren't allowed to drink on duty; they have to ring it up (meaning they have to charge you the full price for the drink even if it means asking you for more money), then enter it in a book and tell the duty manager they've done so. (The duty manager him or herself also has to follow this procedure, although I don't know who they're supposed to tell )

Bars these days often have very sophisticated stock control procedures in place, even to the extent of metering the amount of beer coming out of the barrel. Combined with itemised tills, it's possible to tell very easily if more drink has been dispensed than can be accounted for. In fact, at the bar of which I speak, they also have to note down any mispours or spills, so rigid is the system.

So it's quite possible that the landlord had to ring up the actual amount of the drinks for himself and his wife and take the extra money, and wasn't allowed to have the drink until after his shift. Even if he's his own boss, he may well have such rules in place for his staff, and it would be rather hypocritical of him not to adhere to the same rules as he imposes on them.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            So it's quite possible that the landlord had to ring up the actual amount of the drinks for himself and his wife and take the extra money, and wasn't allowed to have the drink until after his shift. Even if he's his own boss, he may well have such rules in place for his staff, and it would be rather hypocritical of him not to adhere to the same rules as he imposes on them.
            Landlord should have told this weird policy upfront before customer has left.

Comment

It's common not to be allowed to drink while working (other than soft drinks), and to be able to accept a drink as a tip, and have it after your shift or when you visit the pub as a customer. When I left the pub I'd worked in, I had about 20 pints owing.

Some people might find it a bit funny not to see the bar-person pour the drink and would prefer to buy the guy a drink, not have him actually take a £1 tip... it's more friendly to buy someone a drink in their eyes. All comes down to the people and the pub involved.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I worked at the Dog & Fox in Wimbledon, many moons ago, bar staff offered a drink would say "Ta very much, I'll have a port", pour themselves a ribena, and pocket the change.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It seems obvious that bar staff can't drink at work and even if they could then they'd get drunk quickly as lots more customers use them, so obviously "have one yourself" means a tip and it's only a question of how big the tip is, £1 seems like a reasonable amount.

Comment

Good grief.

Back in my day, not so long ago actually, the pub I worked in you could drink and smoke while working. A real pub.

If you're giving it large and buying everyone drinks, you shouldn't start squeaking when the bill is bigger than you expected.

Comment

Working...
                    X