PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Wilma to be …

wxman
15th October 2005, 21:52
Weather talk again….

A disturbance, south of Jamaica has got my attention right now, short range weather model guidance has this as a CAT5 Hurricane within 120 hours! With a track almost due north into the Gulf of Mexico, again as an intense CAT5 hurricane but from here things become a little unclear – perhaps into western Florida or perhaps Alabama – who knows. Ether way – once Wilma (if she ever does) forms, 2005 will be the joint most instance hurricane season ever along side 1933 with 21 names storms

After Wilma we run out of storm names – with the next system being called Alpha and then Beta.

ancient
15th October 2005, 23:15
Here is the address of the national hurricane centre

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Not too much to worry about at the moment.

Have you been watching a repeat of the Flintstones?

wxman
16th October 2005, 09:03
While (Wilma to be) is not much to look at right now - there is strong model guidence that this will be a hurricane within 48 hrs and then go on to impact Florida next Sat / Sun.

sparklelard
16th October 2005, 09:17
Willlllmaaaa!!!!!!

stackpole
16th October 2005, 16:37
After Wilma we run out of storm names – with the next system being called Alpha and then Beta.
Don't they use X Y Z then? I know there aren't many names beginning with them, but it isn't often we need to go that far down the alphabet so we shouldn't run out.

I'd have thought that hurricane Xena - Warrior Princess, might go down well wherever it hits land.

ancient
16th October 2005, 19:51
While (Wilma to be) is not much to look at right now - there is strong model guidence that this will be a hurricane within 48 hrs and then go on to impact Florida next Sat / Sun.

You are quite correct, and news of Willma is starting to happen on Google news, though it is very early days and the outcome is uncertain.

"THE DEPRESSION IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES OVER THE CAYMAN ISLANDS AND JAMAICA...WITH ISOLATED TOTALS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE".

The hurricane season continues until the 30th November.

wxman
17th October 2005, 00:37
My current thinking is now further West - perhaps even New Orleans again :confused:

Ether way TD14 (Wilma to be) has not got started yet and once she does I am still expecting rapid devlopment but not a CAT5 monster - the waters in the North Guld are simply not warm enough now to support a beast like this - but 2005 has been a strange season - including a CAT1 hurricane of Portagal a week ago !

If - Wilma forms then I will make another trip to intercept on landfall - I made more money during Rita (selling Video and Media interviews) then I would make in three weeks sitting at the computer at my current client :yay:

zeitghost
17th October 2005, 07:31
If - Wilma forms then I will make another trip to intercept on landfall - I made more money during Rita (selling Video and Media interviews) then I would make in three weeks sitting at the computer at my current client :yay:

A Star is Born... :wave:

Remember us when you're famous. :cool3:

ancient
17th October 2005, 20:37
Weather talk again….

A disturbance, south of Jamaica has got my attention right now, short range weather model guidance has this as a CAT5 Hurricane within 120 hours! With a track almost due north into the Gulf of Mexico, again as an intense CAT5 hurricane but from here things become a little unclear – perhaps into western Florida or perhaps Alabama – who knows. Ether way – once Wilma (if she ever does) forms, 2005 will be the joint most instance hurricane season ever along side 1933 with 21 names storms

BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM WILMA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 8A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
2 PM EDT MON OCT 17 2005

...WILMA MOVING SLOWLY AS IT GATHERS STRENGTH...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=a.turrQ.ofTE&refer=canada

ancient
18th October 2005, 15:11
My current thinking is now further West - perhaps even New Orleans again :confused:

Ether way TD14 (Wilma to be) has not got started yet and once she does I am still expecting rapid devlopment but not a CAT5 monster - the waters in the North Guld are simply not warm enough now to support a beast like this - but 2005 has been a strange season - including a CAT1 hurricane of Portagal a week ago !

WILMA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS...AND WILMA IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE
DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/181151.shtml

wxman
18th October 2005, 15:15
I am making plans to fly to Orlando on Friday - but I will wait to see what happens once Wilma get cought up in the Westerly winds that will stear her towards Florida - over all the winds flowwing across the hurricane could well rip her apart - we shall see.

wxman
19th October 2005, 00:15
Wilma has now reached CAT2 status - models now prog that Wilma may reach CAT4 within 24 hours - landfall now looks like Naples, Florda before crossing the everglades (which will not kill the storm) Residents on the East coast (Miami) need to think about moving out now - go North west towards tampa.

BTW the scruddy remians of Wilma look to cross the UK around the 28th October as an intence depression.

Spodicus
19th October 2005, 08:26
wxman, how many Hurricanes/Tropical Storms/Typhoons occur every year and has there been any significant increase in their number in the past 150 years? Please can you quote references in your answer.

Spodicus.

BoredBloke
19th October 2005, 08:32
Would it help if the yanks stopped taking building tips from the 'Fist Two Little Pigs Building Co Inc' Make you house out of twigs and it's going to get blown down, in much the same way that trailers tend to disappear in Tornado alley (and given its name would you really want to live there?)

ancient
19th October 2005, 09:03
wxman, how many Hurricanes/Tropical Storms/Typhoons occur every year and has there been any significant increase in their number in the past 150 years? Please can you quote references in your answer.

Spodicus.

http://us.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/

other:

AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE REPORTED 884 MB...THE LOWEST
MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER MEASURED IN A HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC
BASIN...THIS VALUE SHOULD BE USED WITH CAUTION UNTIL CALIBRATED...

.....sounds like a big monster

Spodicus
19th October 2005, 09:25
http://us.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/

other:

AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE REPORTED 884 MB...THE LOWEST
MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER MEASURED IN A HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC
BASIN...THIS VALUE SHOULD BE USED WITH CAUTION UNTIL CALIBRATED...

.....sounds like a big monster

CNN? Since when were they weather experts?

I was hoping for scientific references, you know, stats 'n things!

ancient
19th October 2005, 09:31
CNN? Since when were they weather experts?

I was hoping for scientific references, you know, stats 'n things!

Your not a permie Manager by any chance?

Try smoking this one.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml

Doddy
19th October 2005, 09:40
Guess who flies to Florida tomorrow morning........

I'm there for three weeks - orlando, clearwater, naples and key west - do you think I should pack a kagoul? Or a cardigan?

Key West may be in Arkansas by the time I get there.

hyperD
19th October 2005, 09:43
I'm there for three weeks - orlando, clearwater, naples and key west - do you think I should pack a kagoul? Or a cardigan?
A boat.

Tough break man... :(

wxman
19th October 2005, 13:37
Anyone who is South of Orlando should move north! - this IS the most intense Hurricane ever on record - stronger than Andrew or Katrina.

Meanwhile I will be flying towards Florida on Friday and I plan to set up in Naples which is where the eye should pass over. (Watch for my footage on the UK TV over the weekend)

AlfredJPruffock
19th October 2005, 14:01
Anyone who is South of Orlando should move north! - this IS the most intense Hurricane ever on record - stronger than Andrew or Katrina.

Meanwhile I will be flying towards Florida on Friday and I plan to set up in Naples which is where the eye should pass over. (Watch for my footage on the UK TV over the weekend)

Dont need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows ...

Robert Zimmerman

ancient
20th October 2005, 19:08
A boat.

Tough break man... :(

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH
SATURDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN
PENINSULA...WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE...
PARTICULARY OVER HIGHER TERRAIN IN WESTERN CUBA.

kyak or submarine?

Very nice, genuinely kind and friendly people the Cuban natives, hope they get through this OK

Makes all our little woe's on this island small beer.

Visited a farmstead there a while back, six people living in a breaseblock shanty, one room, no plaster on the walls, just block walls and a tattered country scene poster (without a frame), and they felt so proud of what they had.

Makes us all look a little sick.

Appologies to N5gooner if I am being too serious, but if this board is to be just an evil temple then I can live without it.

http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2005/octubre/juev20/44alarma.html

Churchill
20th October 2005, 23:05
WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH
SATURDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN
PENINSULA...WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE...
PARTICULARY OVER HIGHER TERRAIN IN WESTERN CUBA.

kyak or submarine?

Very nice, genuinely kind and friendly people the Cuban natives, hope they get through this OK

Makes all our little woe's on this island small beer.

Visited a farmstead there a while back, six people living in a breaseblock shanty, one room, no plaster on the walls, just block walls and a tattered country scene poster (without a frame), and they felt so proud of what they had.

Makes us all look a little sick.

Appologies to N5gooner if I am being too serious, but if this board is to be just an evil temple then I can live without it.

http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2005/octubre/juev20/44alarma.html

So, do you have any evidence of Global warming? Temperature rising, changing of current flow? BTW, computer "models" don't count, we can't even predict the weather for next week accurately, so you can stuff your models up your arse.

stackpole
20th October 2005, 23:27
kyak or submarine?

Kayak

wendigo100
21st October 2005, 07:31
OK, let's be serious for a moment. What if we allowed big companies to sponsor hurricanes, such as Hurricane American Express and Hurricane Coca Cola. All the money could be used for the relief efforts.

wxman
24th October 2005, 01:46
The fact is that 5 feet of rain fell in juts 24 hours over Mexico - Also they suffered Major hurricane force for some 36 hours - the damage will be horrendous.

I am currently in Naples, Florida and if all goes to plan I will intercept the eye of the Hurricane just after Day brake – right now I am forecasting that Wilma will be CAT 3 at landfall.

What has struck me with this hurricane is the complete apathy from the locals – only about 20% have left – many are elderly and “I wont let the weather to spoil my Vacation” is the attitude – I fear that the news in the morning will not be good.

I even overheard on couple complaining to the manager of a shop – asking him why he was closing early !!!!

wxman
25th October 2005, 13:41
Joint video Shot from Fort Myres by myself and Alister Chapman of Hurricane Wilma's landfall. Some powerflashes as the transformers explode as well as some wind and rain shots

http://www.weather-view.com/uploads/wilma02.wmv (8mb)

I will post some more video when I get back to the UK later today.

Overall Florida was spared considering this was a CAT3 major Hurricnae at landfall.

wxman
28th October 2005, 08:17
The BBC published my account

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2005/10/27/stuart_robinson_hurricane_wilma_feature.shtml

The Lone Gunman
28th October 2005, 08:22
The BBC published my account

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2005/10/27/stuart_robinson_hurricane_wilma_feature.shtmlNice one. I like your style.

wxman
30th October 2005, 22:46
I have finally managed to put some of my own Hurricane Wilma video on the web!

It was shot in High Definition – but I had to convert it back to DV and then play with the quality and size – even through it ended up at 10mb!

Really just a collection of clips that I put together – one thing is for sure – I will never get rich as a production director!

http://www.wx4tv.co.uk/images/Video/wilma-web.wmv (10mb)

However I would like to know if plays OK on your PC at home …

Chico
31st October 2005, 06:14
Worked on my laptop ok. Good pictures. Bit worried about the families with kids in the beach though. Hopefully they cleared off before Wilma hit.

mcquiggd
31st October 2005, 09:09
Mmmmm.... very interesting pictures....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/image_galleries/laura_coleman_gallery.shtml