• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurricane Wilma to be …

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane Wilma to be …

Weather talk again….

A disturbance, south of Jamaica has got my attention right now, short range weather model guidance has this as a CAT5 Hurricane within 120 hours! With a track almost due north into the Gulf of Mexico, again as an intense CAT5 hurricane but from here things become a little unclear – perhaps into western Florida or perhaps Alabama – who knows. Ether way – once Wilma (if she ever does) forms, 2005 will be the joint most instance hurricane season ever along side 1933 with 21 names storms

After Wilma we run out of storm names – with the next system being called Alpha and then Beta.
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Here is the address of the national hurricane centre

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Not too much to worry about at the moment.

Have you been watching a repeat of the Flintstones?

Comment

While (Wilma to be) is not much to look at right now - there is strong model guidence that this will be a hurricane within 48 hrs and then go on to impact Florida next Sat / Sun.

Comment

Willlllmaaaa!!!!!!
        Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by wxman
          After Wilma we run out of storm names – with the next system being called Alpha and then Beta.
          Don't they use X Y Z then? I know there aren't many names beginning with them, but it isn't often we need to go that far down the alphabet so we shouldn't run out.

I'd have thought that hurricane Xena - Warrior Princess, might go down well wherever it hits land.

Comment

While (Wilma to be) is not much to look at right now - there is strong model guidence that this will be a hurricane within 48 hrs and then go on to impact Florida next Sat / Sun.
            You are quite correct, and news of Willma is starting to happen on Google news, though it is very early days and the outcome is uncertain.

"THE DEPRESSION IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES OVER THE CAYMAN ISLANDS AND JAMAICA...WITH ISOLATED TOTALS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE".

The hurricane season continues until the 30th November.
            Last edited by ancient; 16 October 2005, 20:36.

Comment

My current thinking is now further West - perhaps even New Orleans again

Ether way TD14 (Wilma to be) has not got started yet and once she does I am still expecting rapid devlopment but not a CAT5 monster - the waters in the North Guld are simply not warm enough now to support a beast like this - but 2005 has been a strange season - including a CAT1 hurricane of Portagal a week ago !

If - Wilma forms then I will make another trip to intercept on landfall - I made more money during Rita (selling Video and Media interviews) then I would make in three weeks sitting at the computer at my current client

Comment

If - Wilma forms then I will make another trip to intercept on landfall - I made more money during Rita (selling Video and Media interviews) then I would make in three weeks sitting at the computer at my current client
                A Star is Born...

Remember us when you're famous.

Comment

Weather talk again….

A disturbance, south of Jamaica has got my attention right now, short range weather model guidance has this as a CAT5 Hurricane within 120 hours! With a track almost due north into the Gulf of Mexico, again as an intense CAT5 hurricane but from here things become a little unclear – perhaps into western Florida or perhaps Alabama – who knows. Ether way – once Wilma (if she ever does) forms, 2005 will be the joint most instance hurricane season ever along side 1933 with 21 names storms

BULLETIN
                  TROPICAL STORM WILMA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 8A
                  NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
                  2 PM EDT MON OCT 17 2005

...WILMA MOVING SLOWLY AS IT GATHERS STRENGTH...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...E&refer=canada
                  Last edited by ancient; 17 October 2005, 22:35.

Comment

My current thinking is now further West - perhaps even New Orleans again

Ether way TD14 (Wilma to be) has not got started yet and once she does I am still expecting rapid devlopment but not a CAT5 monster - the waters in the North Guld are simply not warm enough now to support a beast like this - but 2005 has been a strange season - including a CAT1 hurricane of Portagal a week ago !

WILMA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
                    SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
                    HOURS...AND WILMA IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE
                    DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/181151.shtml

Comment

Working...
                    X