• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Market for Developers (C++ Java etc)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Market for Developers (C++ Java etc)

...so we seem to have a difficult market for tester, PM's, trainers, but what about programmers....C++, Java, .NET. When I look on Jobserve there still seems to be plenty of C++ jobs, or are there the same number of jobs but more applicants. Is it really difficult??
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...so we seem to have a difficult market for tester, PM's, trainers, but what about programmers....C++, Java, .NET. When I look on Jobserve there still seems to be plenty of C++ jobs, or are there the same number of jobs but more applicants. Is it really difficult??
    Still jobs out there, but more people chasing them and they are paying lower rates.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Demand for FORTRAN IV seems pretty steady...
      And COBOL and PL/I
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        And COBOL and PL/I
        What about CSP, VSAM, DL/1, Mantiss, Endeavour, etc? Some of those were still lurking in the lower depths of my CV until not so recently.

Comment

Just learn SAP and never go hungry again.

Comment

C++ isn't a mainstream development language any more. It's quite niche and a typical skill for which you'd be forced to hire in an expert contractor, so not a big surprise there are still contracts out there for it.

The market for .NET and Java is much much bigger, and any small drop in the market would see many good contractors fighting over roles, which seems to be the situation.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Learning it is the easy part. The difficult part is finding a friend who is willing to 'act' as referee to back up your claims that you used it at HisClientCo, which is ideally a blue-chip company. With two such friends (or perhaps one dodgy agent) you have it made.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                SAP...is it kinda cooking skills ??? or some sort of anti starvation pills

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
                  SAP...is it kinda cooking skills ??? or some sort of anti starvation pills
                  Or Suicide Assistance Pill?

Comment

Working...
                  X