• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are permie rates now surpassing contract rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are permie rates now surpassing contract rates?

Just saw this on jobserve ...

I'm rubbing my eyes but they assure it is not a mis-print:

> BUSINESS ANALYST, MANCHESTER, £129-£145p/d.
    >
    > Business Analyst, Local government, Council, Public sector, service
    > improvement, service redesign, process mapping, stakeholder liaison,
    > Prince2.
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE, THE RATE IS NOT A TYPING ERROR.
    >
    > Due to an increase in their workload, our client is looking for a number of
    > Business Analysts. The suitable Business Analysts will have previous
    > experience of working within public sector/local government/local
    > authority/council.
    >
    > ETC ETC

Contractor: services required, providers in short supply. Prepared to forgo employment benefits including security. Rates high.

Temp: services required, providers in plentiful supply. Taken on without employment benefits including security. Rates low.

Comment

Yes, I have serious competition for SC support roles paying £15ph... I was on near £30; I’m losing the will to work.

I’m going perm at the first opportunity as I can't afford to run a company, travel and pay for accommodation etc on peanuts.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Contractor: services required, providers in short supply. Prepared to forgo employment benefits including security. Rates high.

Temp: services required, providers in plentiful supply. Taken on without employment benefits including security. Rates low.

Rates dropping all the time, competition high... have you looked on Jobserve recently?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I didn't think I would ever consider going back to permie, but can't see the economic sense in staying contracting if rates go this low i.e. I may as well get the paid holidays and just put up with the crap until the market changes.

Needless to say I've started looking for permie roles also now ...

Comment

A bit off-topic, but I saw this requirement recently:
            It is mandatory for this role to be FLUENT in ENGLISH, FRENCH & DUTCH!
            wtf, is IT just a side-line with such a person?

Actually I think they should go the whole hog and ask for:

It is mandatory for this role to be FLUENT in ENGLISH 9.0 or above, MS FRENCH XP & DUTCH++ 2.0

Comment

Yep - main reason I went permie - rates now are as bad, or worse than when I started contracting 10 years ago. There's not a huge difference in the rate now (Though you still get a tax advantage) but permie means, if you play it right. a wee skills boost and some stuff to add to your CV.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Tee hee ... agree ... how could you have time for any IT having learnt all that?

Just recently I was in for a role where they started out asking for knowledge of a certain area as "desirable". As I had experience in that area with 3 different products my CV went straight to the client. They then changed the job spec so the "desirable" became "essential" and the product area became the specific product itself.

Needless to say just one guy came forward with that experience and got the interview. I would have blagged ... but it was one of those instances when you couldn't ... if you know what I mean ...

Comment

I had an agent balking at my huge 25k permy wage demand, 2nd line SC cleared support role and the client wants to pay 18k (1.5x NMW).

I was earning 20k basic (overtime + shift 30k) working in a machine shop 10 years ago.

Comment

I think this whole "recession" is just designed to re-distribute wealth ... now how the hell do I get on the receiving end?!

Comment

Working...
                    X