• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Britain always had a crap economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Britain always had a crap economy?

Was thinking about this. In colonial times, the economy was sustained by exploiting the colonies for cheap raw material and captive markets (witness how Britain really did not have a Great Depression a la the US or Germany).

After the war, Britain had Marshall Plan money, then North Sea Oil and finally cheap credit.

But what have been the real strengths of the British economy, if any? Of course there was a point when manufacturing was huge - but was there ever a time when British goods were considered "quality" like Japanese and German goods are now?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I'm pretty sure in Roman times we were doing Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Was thinking about this. In colonial times, the economy was sustained by exploiting the colonies for cheap raw material and captive markets (witness how Britain really did not have a Great Depression a la the US or Germany).

After the war, Britain had Marshall Plan money, then North Sea Oil and finally cheap credit.

But what have been the real strengths of the British economy, if any? Of course there was a point when manufacturing was huge - but was there ever a time when British goods were considered "quality" like Japanese and German goods are now?
      It was all about energy:
      Shipping/empire - an island nation blessed with lots of wind. We ruled the wind and waves because we had that natural resource.
      Coal - Sparked the Industrial Revolution and we binged through our natural heritage like there was no tomorrow. Peaked around 1910.
      Oil - helped us out a bit in the 80s.

We still have wind. France has access to Uranium, so we might have to suck up to her for some if we want to go nuclear.

Comment

WGAS as long as you are coining it in?

Do you set policy for the economy? No, so get a life and sort yourself out.

I couldn't give a flying **** about Britain, it's economy etc, as long as I'm making the money. Infact, the tulipter it is the better.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          It was all about energy:
          Shipping/empire - an island nation blessed with lots of wind. We ruled the wind and waves because we had that natural resource.
          Coal - Sparked the Industrial Revolution and we binged through our natural heritage like there was no tomorrow. Peaked around 1910.
          Oil - helped us out a bit in the 80s.

We still have wind. France has access to Uranium, so we might have to suck up to her for some if we want to go nuclear.
          So you're saying the British economy has been based on hot air?
          Sounds about right to me.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's the fourth biggest economy in the world and has consistently given me access to high paying jobs.

So it works well enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              It's the fourth biggest economy in the world and has consistently given me access to high paying jobs.

Exactly. The economy is and has been fantastic. During the boom you become rich and during the bust you pickup cheap assets. rinse and repeat.

Bloody fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                British manufactured items used to be build like the proverbial brick tuliphouse, and so lasted a loooong time...

Hmmm. Is that true? During the 2nd world war most of the Germany kit was far better than the British.
                Although you still Morris Minors ocassionally I suppose.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Exactly. The economy is and has been fantastic. During the boom you become rich and during the bust you pickup cheap assets. rinse and repeat.

Bloody fantastic!
                  So vote Labour then, by that logic.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

Will it work for your kids and their kids?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X