• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Daily Telegraph.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Daily Telegraph.....

I've read it for about 25 years now; I always thought that the sport was excellent, the news and business good and Alex is worth the 90p on his own somedays.

But - the way they approached this whole Guido/McBride email thing has annoyed me - they were used by McBride to try and spike the story and ran it as a front page on Saturday; a tactic which completely blew back in their faces. Even in today's edition they are trying to claim it was them that broke the story.

So - which paper do I switch to; or shall I just become one of the legions of Metro reading morons and crib everything I want to read off the Telegraph website when I get into work?

Just read InterWebz news sites at work, billable to ClientCo ofc.

Comment

If you've read ity for 25 years and only been annoyed at it's content once, I'd suggest you carry on. That's a fantastic record.

Comment

How about buying... the Daily Telegraph?!

I presume the sport is still excellent, the news (bar recent politics) and business are still good and Alex is still worth the 90p on his own some days.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
          I've read it for about 25 years now; I always thought that the sport was excellent, the news and business good and Alex is worth the 90p on his own somedays.

But - the way they approached this whole Guido/McBride email thing has annoyed me - they were used by McBride to try and spike the story and ran it as a front page on Saturday; a tactic which completely blew back in their faces. Even in today's edition they are trying to claim it was them that broke the story.

So - which paper do I switch to; or shall I just become one of the legions of Metro reading morons and crib everything I want to read off the Telegraph website when I get into work?

What was wrong with the McBride story?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            What was wrong with the McBride story?
            1) GF spoke to a number of journalists about the emails he had; the DT said that they were offered them and declined to purchase them (debatable - GF has said he didn't sell them to anyone)

2) The journalist (Andrew Porter) is well known for being McBride's drinking buddy. Looks like McBride knew GF had the emails and used Porter to try and spike the story/spoil it because they knew it would be in the Sundays. Porter wrote Saturday's article without naming McBride (when everyone knew McBride was the story)

3) The DT article made out that it was a minor 'blogger's spat', and that it was just two mates exchanging gossip - which of course it wasn't.

4) The DT has therefore allowed itself to be used to print what No 10 wanted it to say

5) The DT is still claiming they broke the story - utter rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
              If you've read ity for 25 years and only been annoyed at it's content once, I'd suggest you carry on. That's a fantastic record.
              Haha - true!

Comment

Occasionally you should read the competition to prove yiu are still making the right choice.

Comment

Mmm, used to buy the Telegraph and some still do occassionaly.

I thank the Telegraph for persuading me to put my main pension
                  into cash in 2006 with their articles on the bubble economy/debt
                  mountain existing in the UK. Strange the Telegraph seemed
                  worried about how things were shaping up and Gordo was
                  blissfully unaware ....

Prefer the business coverage in the Times now though.

Comment

I only read a paper that prints the truth, and if I was in any way sure that lies were printed I would not buy it. The Telegraph is very politically biased and manipulated by Labour and lies to promote its propaganda, as has been proven by recent events. I also have complete contempt for the BBC for similar reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X