• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't wait to come home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to come home

So I've been working on the mainland for 3 months, found out the other day that contract won't be renewed. Can't wait to come home.

I've had fun, went snowboarding a fair few times. And lived in a different city. But I'm getting pretty damn bored here.

I miss London, friends and family.

So I have 23 days to go! roll on home!

Does anyone else stay in the place they are working when they're away from home? or do you go back every weekend? Going back every weekend might have made it better, but then again I can imagine it would have seemed like even more of a chore if I was having to travel so much.

It's raining here, half the shop fronts on the high street are boarded up as businesses crash, there are no jobs, most of the population are turning into chavs.

Welcome back.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Being away usually makes you appreciate all the small stuff that's good about home, and applies a nice rose-tint to all the crappy stuff. Which can increase the shock of getting home again.

But I agree it *is* getting a bit dire here, so be prepared....

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
        So I've been working on the mainland for 3 months, found out the other day that contract won't be renewed. Can't wait to come home.

I've had fun, went snowboarding a fair few times. And lived in a different city. But I'm getting pretty damn bored here.

I miss London, friends and family.

So I have 23 days to go! roll on home!

Does anyone else stay in the place they are working when they're away from home? or do you go back every weekend? Going back every weekend might have made it better, but then again I can imagine it would have seemed like even more of a chore if I was having to travel so much.

Forgive my ignorance - but mainland of where? - Just being nosey
        I work away during the week and have a 4 to 5 hour commute at either end of it - which is bad enough - but staying away all the time, must be hard.
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post

I am married so I do not normally except contracts where I can't come home most weekends.

Comment

Monday eve to Thursday on the mainland with every effort made to ensure I'm home for the weekend. Obviously there are occaissions when getting back isn't possible so I use it as an opportunity to experience a new city.

The other option is to fly Mrs PL out on airmiles.

I don't mind the air travel too much. I'd rather be stuck in the lounge with a large G+T and my book than sat on the M5 anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              I am married so I do not normally except contracts where I can't come home most weekends.
              accept

You obviously haven't been married long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                I work away during the week and have a 4 to 5 hour commute at either end of it - which is bad enough - but staying away all the time, must be hard.
                THE mainland.... I'm in Italy at the moment, was a real novelty for the first 2 months, close to the mountains and exploring new place... but then the snow has melted and have explored all to see!

It's close enough to come home, but I really wanted to immerse myself here. Only being here mon-friday, would have meant a very different experience...plus the cost of the commute at weekends (tight bastid you see).

Was in the carribbean last summer working, funnily enough I would still be there now if it was offered... Guess Italy just isn't as amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  It is an expression used by people on one land-mass to denigrate a supposedly less important land-mass.

In this case the poster is probably working in continental europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    It is an expression used by people on one land-mass to denigrate a supposedly less important land-mass.

In this case the poster is probably working in continental europe.
                    Oh thanks for letting me know
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X