• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wee bit miffed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wee bit miffed

I was asked recently to do some system testing. I did. It passed. Then I was asked to promote the app to the UAT environment. I did. The UAT testing passed. Then I was asked to promote to Live. I did. It doesn't work.

It turns out that the UAT environment has certain environment settings that are not in live (stored in a custom system variables table in SQL Server)

Is this not a tad harsh? I did try to protest my innocence and said that the UAT environment should (as closely as possible) replicate live.

I was told "This is a no blame culture".

FFS
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I was asked recently to do some system testing. I did. It passed. Then I was asked to promote the app to the UAT environment. I did. The UAT testing passed. Then I was asked to promote to Live. I did. It doesn't work.

It turns out that the UAT environment has certain environment settings that are not in live (stored in a custom system variables table in SQL Server)

Is this not a tad harsh? I did try to protest my innocence and said that the UAT environment should (as closely as possible) replicate live.

FFS
    You are a contractor. Therefore, by definition, it is your fault.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

FFS
      Except when they deem it to be your fault
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

of course in the ideal world the UAT environment should be a replica architectually of the Prod environment

however if you are blessed with being in a landscape where the UAT environment is different from Prod and therefore creates new problems which are not picked up in UAT then you should be happy,

this creates more work

and is therefore...

good for contractors

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          of course in the ideal world the UAT environment should be a replica architectually of the Prod environment

however if you are blessed with being in a landscape where the UAT environment is different from Prod and therefore creates new problems which are not picked up in UAT then you should be happy,

this creates more work

and is therefore...

good for contractors

Milan.
          Picking up a problem in UAT env and insisting on another 6 weeks of testing = good

Finding the problem in PRD and being told to fix it asap as you're stopping manufacturing/logistics = bad

HTH

Comment

Well what did they expect?

If your UAT isn't EXACTLY the same as Production, then you are effectively going in blind.

Muppets.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
              Well what did they expect?

If your UAT isn't EXACTLY the same as Production, then you are effectively going in blind.

Muppets.
              I thought for the sheer heck of it I would post an excerpt from the actual email
              This is from the chap that just told me there is no blame culture.

"Simple approach that works for me is to assuming that nothing is as you need it to be unless you have made it so. The problem here seems to be that you assumed upon finding the entries in UAT that they would therefore be in Production. The only thing that tells you that the entries are in Production is seeing the entries in Production."
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I thought for the sheer heck of it I would post an excerpt from the actual email

"Simple approach that works for me is to assuming that nothing is as you need it to be unless you have made it so. The problem here seems to be that you assumed upon finding the entries in UAT that they would therefore be in Production. The only thing that tells you that the entries are in Production is seeing the entries in Production."
                "Notice the minute hand, as it passes the number twelve. This means you have just earned another hour's money. You can earn an hour's money being annoyed by a ****, or by being relaxed. It's still the same amount of money."
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Suggest you grit teeth, chalk up a mark on your experience blackboard, and carry on.

Unless you are working in a Prod Copy / Pre Live / UAT environment that is an exact copy of data, code, config, database from Prod then this is a classic gotcha. If you own the testing + release then like it or not this becomes your bag to carry too (in my experience).
                  Last edited by moorfield; 16 April 2009, 12:01.

Comment

Oh, that's bad. May I refer you to option one of my sig? It's the only language gits like that understand.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X