PDA

View Full Version : Wee bit miffed

suityou01
16th April 2009, 11:09
I was asked recently to do some system testing. I did. It passed. Then I was asked to promote the app to the UAT environment. I did. The UAT testing passed. Then I was asked to promote to Live. I did. It doesn't work.

It turns out that the UAT environment has certain environment settings that are not in live (stored in a custom system variables table in SQL Server)

Is this not a tad harsh? I did try to protest my innocence and said that the UAT environment should (as closely as possible) replicate live.

I was told "This is a no blame culture".

FFS :suicide:

PM-Junkie
16th April 2009, 11:15
I was asked recently to do some system testing. I did. It passed. Then I was asked to promote the app to the UAT environment. I did. The UAT testing passed. Then I was asked to promote to Live. I did. It doesn't work.

It turns out that the UAT environment has certain environment settings that are not in live (stored in a custom system variables table in SQL Server)

Is this not a tad harsh? I did try to protest my innocence and said that the UAT environment should (as closely as possible) replicate live.

:spel You are a contractor. Therefore, by definition, it is your fault.

BoredBloke
16th April 2009, 11:23
Except when they deem it to be your fault

milanbenes
16th April 2009, 11:31
of course in the ideal world the UAT environment should be a replica architectually of the Prod environment

however if you are blessed with being in a landscape where the UAT environment is different from Prod and therefore creates new problems which are not picked up in UAT then you should be happy,

this creates more work

and is therefore...

good for contractors

Milan.

Pondlife
16th April 2009, 11:39
of course in the ideal world the UAT environment should be a replica architectually of the Prod environment

however if you are blessed with being in a landscape where the UAT environment is different from Prod and therefore creates new problems which are not picked up in UAT then you should be happy,

this creates more work

and is therefore...

good for contractors

Milan.

Picking up a problem in UAT env and insisting on another 6 weeks of testing = good

Finding the problem in PRD and being told to fix it asap as you're stopping manufacturing/logistics = bad

HTH

SallyAnne
16th April 2009, 11:39
Well what did they expect?

If your UAT isn't EXACTLY the same as Production, then you are effectively going in blind.

Muppets.

suityou01
16th April 2009, 11:52
Well what did they expect?

If your UAT isn't EXACTLY the same as Production, then you are effectively going in blind.

Muppets.

I thought for the sheer heck of it I would post an excerpt from the actual email
This is from the chap that just told me there is no blame culture.

"Simple approach that works for me is to assuming that nothing is as you need it to be unless you have made it so. The problem here seems to be that you assumed upon finding the entries in UAT that they would therefore be in Production. The only thing that tells you that the entries are in Production is seeing the entries in Production."

Moscow Mule
16th April 2009, 11:57
I thought for the sheer heck of it I would post an excerpt from the actual email

"Simple approach that works for me is to assuming that nothing is as you need it to be unless you have made it so. The problem here seems to be that you assumed upon finding the entries in UAT that they would therefore be in Production. The only thing that tells you that the entries are in Production is seeing the entries in Production."

"Notice the minute hand, as it passes the number twelve. This means you have just earned another hour's money. You can earn an hour's money being annoyed by a ****, or by being relaxed. It's still the same amount of money."

moorfield
16th April 2009, 11:58

Suggest you grit teeth, chalk up a mark on your experience blackboard, and carry on.

Unless you are working in a Prod Copy / Pre Live / UAT environment that is an exact copy of data, code, config, database from Prod then this is a classic gotcha. If you own the testing + release then like it or not this becomes your bag to carry too (in my experience).

NotAllThere
16th April 2009, 12:05

Oh, that's bad. May I refer you to option one of my sig? It's the only language gits like that understand.

milanbenes
16th April 2009, 14:23
Pondlife,

Finding the problem in PRD and being told to fix it asap as you're stopping manufacturing/logistics = OverTime

which is good.

Milan.

SallyAnne
16th April 2009, 14:47

Words fail me!!!

I would have replied with: -

"Yes, you are indeed right about assumptions. I had also assumed I was working with people who knew what the f*&^ they were doing."

suityou01
16th April 2009, 18:35
Words fail me!!!

I would have replied with: -

"Yes, you are indeed right about assumptions. I had also assumed I was working with people who knew what the f*&^ they were doing."

Actually totally stunned that no one has started a "samey-pun-titled-thread" entitled "A Wee bit muffed"

Do I have to do everything round here?:tired

TykeMerc
16th April 2009, 19:30
Actually totally stunned that no one has started a "samey-pun-titled-thread" entitled "A Wee bit muffed"

Do I have to do everything round here?:tired

Well thread title parodies have been done to death, they lost all entertainment value long ago.

On topic how the hell can an organisation call a test environment a UAT test if it varies from live in any significant way? Pure idiocy and begging for just the sort of grief that you encountered. I'm not a tester but even I know the basic ground rules.

suityou01
16th April 2009, 19:35
Well thread title parodies have been done to death, they lost all entertainment value long ago.

On topic how the hell can an organisation call a test environment a UAT test if it varies from live in any significant way? Pure idiocy and begging for just the sort of grief that you encountered. I'm not a tester but even I know the basic ground rules.

Indeed. But it was still my fault according to him. I loved his first email stating how it was not a blame culture and then proceeding to blame me :laugh. To be honest this bloke is about 4 feet tall and talks to everyone like they are thick. I think he is universally known as being a bit of a knob. He has a superiority complex of biblical proportions.

Fred Bloggs
16th April 2009, 19:43
Indeed. But it was still my fault according to him. I loved his first email stating how it was not a blame culture and then proceeding to blame me :laugh. To be honest this bloke is about 4 feet tall and talks to everyone like they are thick. I think he is universally known as being a bit of a knob. He has a superiority complex of biblical proportions.Isn't the life of a contractor wonderful? there was a time when I had to tolerate and work with knobs like that. Now I just hold them in contempt until I finish my job and leave. If they're the one signing the time sheet, a modification of my attitude prevails on Fridays!

IME, "no blame culture" = "witch hunt culture".

TykeMerc
16th April 2009, 19:57
IME, "no blame culture" = "witch hunt culture".

Very true, the worst places for apportioning fault that I've worked at are those that proclaim themselves to have a "no blame culture". It's always a feeble cover up for their deeply rooted behaviour.

Fred Bloggs
16th April 2009, 20:00
Very true, the worst places for apportioning fault that I've worked at are those that proclaim themselves to have a "no blame culture". It's always a feeble cover up for their deeply rooted behaviour.Correct. They wouldn't have to say anything if there truly WAS a no blame culture.

swamp
16th April 2009, 20:19
My tactic for dealing with these situations is to come across a bit thick:

"Oh reaaaally? ... UAT is different from Live? ... OK, can you show me the documentation describing the variation between the environments?"