• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many going perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many going perm?

How many here are getting bored of the bench and going / interviewing / looking for perm jobs ? Just curious to know really.

I am.

The only contract roles I see are paying rates equal salary with none of the benefits.

Take insurance, accountancy fees and hassle into consideration and there is no point in contracting any more.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Not on the bench, but I've just been offered an interview for a permie role at far more than I'm currently on. European Head of Safety has a nice ring to it?

I like the idea and the practice of working for myself though, even though it's only been 6 months, but stability, holidays and sickpay sure sound good in this economic climate.
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

My current client are looking for a load of permies at the minute, but they just can't find any!!

There's no I.T. recession up in the North East it seems.
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

The question assumes that companies (or rather their HR departments) choose competent people for their permie roles.

Some of us had to go the contract route as it seemed that HR or agents paid more attention to age profile/ability to be led by donkeys, than whether we could do the job. I doubt you'd be turned down for a contract role for being "over qualified/experienced" - this happens with permie roles. Besides which, the permie recruiter may have a problem with "bench time". Never mind the fact you can do the job standing on your head, any "gaps" obviously make you verboten.

Of course, the market could have changed under the current economic climate.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I've just been contacted about a gig doing the same role at the same place that I left just 12 months ago... on half the rate.

I'm considering it.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I've just been contacted about a gig doing the same role at the same place that I left just 12 months ago... on half the rate.

I'm considering it.
              How long for?
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

I can't even find minimum wage labouring work, perhaps because my CV and qualifications make me appear unsuited for such work. Maybe they think I will do a runner when/if the IT market recovers? So my plan C involves keeping a look out for places to stash a sleeping bag outside if I end up homeless

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I am.

The only contract roles I see are paying rates equal salary with none of the benefits.

Take insurance, accountancy fees and hassle into consideration and there is no point in contracting any more.

Yep. So much for a buoyant, flexible growth economy that the Tories bequeathed to Labour in 1997. I bet those that voted Labour are pleased with the results of their blind faith in Blair and Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    How long for?
                    Not sure yet, I may do it as it's a POP and it's better than nothing.

The other downside is I spent 3 years there before so I can't claim travel... I might just risk it though.

Comment

Working...
                    X