• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glasgow - good or bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasgow - good or bad

got an opportunity to work in Glasgow for 6 months...

...know nothing about the city...

(yes I know google exists - looking for first hand experience/opinion)

where's a nice area to live?

things to do?

things to avoid?

I've been twice and hated it...but loads of people I speak to reckon it's a cracking place...so I must've just went to the wrong areas.
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

City centre gig or on the outskirts somewhere?

Glasgow's no worse than any other big city and perhaps better than many.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

In the city centre, merchant city has some good places to live, otherwise west end is a good spot. I worked there for 18 months and loved it.

Comment

Try and stay West or South. In the West Kelvinbridge, Hillhead and Hyndland are great in the summer. Shawlands in the south is OK.

East and North probably contain some of the worst areas in Western Europe, I very rarely go there.

If you stay West you can get to Loch Lomond in 15 minutes which is fantastic in the summer, a national park on your doorstep.
          Last edited by minestrone; 16 April 2009, 12:35.

Comment

Glasgow's a great city, but like anywhere has it's good and bad parts.

The west end is the nicest area to live in, loads of great bars and restaurants.

The south side is mostly nice too, but has some rough parts.

Avoid the north at all costs!

Comment

Glasgow reminded me of Hackney minus the charm. Nice if you like concrete jungles.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
                Glasgow reminded me of Hackney minus the charm. Nice if you like concrete jungles.
                Rennie McIntosh designed most of the older parts of town, it's a highly praised architectural university city, the east of the city is a scum pit though
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Fantastic city. Plus you're close to mountains and sea (west coast). Edinburgh's only a hour away.
                  Agree you have to sort out nice place to live. Apart from that it's all good. Well, maybe the rain is a bit of a downer...
                  Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

The weather is shlte.

Unless you like wind and rain. Some do.

Comment

Working...
                    X