• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets don't do VAT receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermarkets don't do VAT receipts

I am working away atm. Lonely existence, and the pub lifestyle has lost its novelty value. I am also fed up with pub grub, so thought I would make use of the local supermarkets (not spoilt for choice in this dept - quaint ol Knutsford)

I've been to two supermarkets now on two consecutive evenings, and been made to wait 20 minutes like a leper while they fetch the store manager to hand write a VAT receipt.

FFS. Is this not a legal requirement of any VAT registered company to produce one when asked?

I know this is bordering on Wilmslowesque, but I was genuinely stunned and also wondered if other 'tractors were working away (and missing their families) who have tricks for not just eating pub grub, trashing their livers and leading relatively healthy fulfilling existences while away.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Get your pot noodles from a petrol station instead - they normally will do you a vat receipt as a matter of course.

Comment

FFS, WTF are you buying in the supermarket that warrants a VAT rec, not withstanding the fact that most Cons are in the FRS, most shop food does not have VAT charged. Everyone in the Q backed up behind you must have been seething.

Why don't you just use a flat rate subsistance allowance? Making life simpler, saving your time and others is well worth the few pennies you save.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        FFS, WTF are you buying in the supermarket that warrants a VAT rec, not withstanding the fact that most Cons are in the FRS, most shop food does not have VAT charged. Everyone in the Q backed up behind you must have been seething.

Why don't you just use a flat rate subsistance allowance? Making life simpler, saving your time and others is well worth the few pennies you save.
        Aah, the scorn of a CUK'er. I am on a flat rate VAT scheme but my accountant still makes me calculate the VAT on out of pocket expenses. Did I not mention I had to wait for 20 minutes, not anybody else. I stood to one side thus not holding anybody up.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I had to wait for 20 minutes
          Could you have billed this time for more than VAT you may get?

Comment

Tesco customer service will scan the barcode on the bottom of your bill and print one out automatically. They used to handwrite them but a systems overhaul about five odd years ago made it a much quicker process.

So if it's Tesco and they say they can't, it's poor training.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
              Tesco customer service will scan the barcode on the bottom of your bill and print one out automatically. They used to handwrite them but a systems overhaul about five odd years ago made it a much quicker process.

They are indeed one of them. They do print one, but take Full name, address and post code before they will release one. This takes time. Poor training and if you pay peanuts ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Could you have billed this time for more than VAT you may get?
                Sure, which is kind of why I am moaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
                  You shop at Tesco?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You shop at Tesco?
                    Its Knutsford dude, you take what you can get. TBF this is a 6 mile trek into Northwich but you get the point.

I mean, wot no Harrods.

Comment

Working...
                    X