• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seconds anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconds anyone?

I've got two second interviews lined-up for this week.

I have been in my last contract quite a long time but to be honest I have never been asked for a second interview ever before in the world of contracting. Is this normal practice these days? When did this start?

I've had two interviews before when the client has been a fair distance away. With Amex I had an initial telephone interview followed by an interview in their office.

Comment

Yes, that's quite normal if distance is an issue but these are City jobs.

Comment

Second interviews

Yep, pretty common these days

Usually first interview is with PM's and senior managers and second is with the pale chubby propellor head with b3ggerall people skills who will ask you totally irrelelevant technical questions to humiliate and browbeat you.

You will be forced to resort to answers like

a) Well I ahve not encountered that exact situation but a in a similar case....

b) I find when I enocounter issues like that that the internet is a good source of information on ....

c) I am not sure whether you have read my CV but [TECHNOLOGY] is not a prominent skill of mine, what I do know is .....

Followed by

d) Forgive me if I am wrong but I cannot see how [TECHNOLOGY] is linked to the project the management described in he first interview, perhaps you could fill me in?

Oh go -on ... it will be fun!!!!
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Damn, now everyone I saw last week wants to see me again. A whole week of interviews.

<Groan>

Comment

"pale chubby propellor head with b3ggerall people skills who will ask you totally irrelelevant technical questions to humiliate and browbeat you"

My pet hate, being faced with some supposed IT guru who is either in his 30/40s but has never worked anywhere except the one company, or the equivalent of some spotty-faced youth who graduated from McDonalds by doing a gov't training scheme and now thinks he knows everything. Questions generally being designed to simply show how wonderful he is to his boss, and where I sometimes feel like answering "well, the reason I don't use XXX is because its a piece of sh*t and anyone with half a brain wouldn't dream of touching it".

damn!, missed the b*stard...
            Last edited by Joe Black; 17 October 2005, 16:01.

Comment

I have often been tempted to ask them if they know so much about it, why are they recruiting? Could it be that they actually know feck all?

Comment

Working...
              X