• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Huxley holding money for 28 days before paying contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huxley holding money for 28 days before paying contractors

Greetings fellow contractors,

I have been contracting for 9 months now and I have work for 4 agencies not including my current, Huxley Associates,

I am having problems getting paid by Huxley and they are keeping my money in their bank for 28 days after receiving it from the client. There are 18 contractors on this site and, as far as I know, we are all being paid in the same appalling way.

I have "unofficially" spoken to payroll at my client site and, as about 50% of the companies employees are contractors, they pay all of their invoices weekly and I have confirmed that Huxley get paid weekly from the client.

I have always been paid weekly before from several other agencies and I don't understand why Huxley are doing this, the only thing I can see that they are gaining is bank account interest on everyone's money the 28 days it is sitting there.

Their staff are rude, arrogant, ignorant and quite simply some of the stupidest people that I have ever had to work with over in my working career.

So my question to you folk is, is there any way, that I can get them to pay me weekly. I am currently in the process of working with another agency to get them to take over the contract, as I know they will pay us more, and pay us on time after each week worked. But until this other agency can steal the contract I am very behind on payments.

I am sorry if this has been asked before I did do a search but was unable to find a similar post,

Regards,
    M

Are you a contractor or a temp?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

They might pay weekly... but are you absolutely sure that those weekly payments aren't weeks in arrears? Some agencies don't get paid by the client until several months after you are. It could be that Huxley send them an invoice say two months after you did the work and the client pays that a week later. So technically the person in payroll is telling the truth, but not the whole truth

Secondly, what does it say in your contract? If you agreed to be paying paid four weeks in arrears that's what you signed.
      Last edited by Beefy198; 17 April 2009, 10:33. Reason: Edited to make more sense

Comment

Usually agencies pay the next week or sooner.
        However, a business usually allows it's client 28 days to pay an invoice.
        I wouldn't be too happy but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
          They might pay weekly... but are you absolutely sure that those weekly payments aren't weeks in arrears? Some agencies don't get paid by the client until several months after you are. It could be that Huxley send them an invoice say two months after you did the work and the client pays that a week later. So technically the person in payroll is telling the truth, but not the whole truth

Secondly, what does it say in your contract? If you agreed to be paying paid four weeks in arrears that's what you signed.
          nuff said.

Comment

put in simple terms, what does the contract you signed say?

if it says that you will be paid 28 days after invoice then that is when you should be paid, if it says that you will be paid 90 ays after invoice, same same..

it is irrelevant when huxley receive payment from the client, if they have a crack squad of finance who can get the money the day you do the work then good for them, if there finance dept is not as good then they may have negotiated to receive payment for your services after the date you are due to be paid, again it's irrelevant, as long as your paid on time and your happy with that (i.e you signed the contract to say so) then who cares?

if your question is how do i change from 28 day payment terms to weekly because that is what i am used to then the question surely must be, why did you sign the contract if your not happy with the payment terms?

30 day payment terms from invoice is the norm in my line of work, once i accepted 90 day terms for a better rate.. weekly would be ideal but i know the agent I reguarly use would never accept that
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I''ve worked on a number of roles where my contract stated that I'd be paid within 28 days but more often that not they paid much sooner. But I have also had it where the agent pays 28 days after the reciept of the invoice. So if you are invoicing monthly then it means you won't see a bean until 2 months after your first day. If you are on a low rate or have big outgoings/expenses then this can be a nightmare (it's good when you finish though!)

You could allways tell them that you simply cannot afford to work in this way and that you'll have to hand in your notice. They will probably find a way around it.

I'm suprised that such a big agency is doing this though. Have they allways done this? Have they got money problems?
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

I'm suprised that such a big agency is doing this though. Have they allways done this? Have they got money problems?
                It's probably what's always been in the contract but never enforced. Now as everyone's financially fnucked they're trying to wring every last penny they can from the cash in the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  It's probably what's always been in the contract but never enforced. Now as everyone's financially fnucked they're trying to wring every last penny they can from the cash in the bank.
                  Agreed we have stalled 3 big contract negotiaions with a companies as they stated their payments terms are 45 days paid when paid from their customer.
                  That is crap business

Comment

The problem here is if they go bust you lose a month's money. In my contracts I was always paid within one or two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X