• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm turning into Wilmslow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm turning into Wilmslow

After the long weekend my wife had a bit of a health scare. She is pregnant with our third, and has the other two boys of on hols atm. I am working away during the week. Rather than jump in the car Tuesday morning, I mailed ClientCo, called the digs and took the day off so I could be with her and go to the Doctors etc etc.

When I got to the digs Wednesday night, the lady who runs it was nosey but in a seemingly caring way. I poured my heart out to her and it all ended quite nicely "it's probably nothing you know" etc etc.

This morning when I went to check out, I wondered if she would charge me for Tuesday night. While she would be within her rights to as I did not give her the pre-requisite 24 hrs notice, I wondered how she would play it.

In my mind, the smart money would have been to say something like

"Well, I should charge you, but in light of the circumstances and the fact that you are a long term booking I will not this time as a gesture of good will"

None of that. Just went ahead and charged me. Then said "If you'd have given me 24 hours notice", to which I muttered "I'm sure people feel the same when they get a health scare".

As this is playing on my mind more than it should I thought I would put it to the panel. There are plenty of other digs in the area, and losing out on my regular money might teach her some skills in the hospitality trade ...

I know she is a business, and was within her rights, but was it prudent to do so, and how many of you would look for somewhere else to stay?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Why don't you form an opinion of your own first?

Maybe you can even share it here including a few arguments pro and con your opinion.

then we can talk about the validity or weight of each opinion and maybe you change your opinion or maybe you hold on to your already formed opinion.

Is this not better than just letting you being opinionated by strangers that might not really care or have your best interests at heart.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I care, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        Why don't you form an opinion of your own first?

Maybe you can even share it here including a few arguments pro and con your opinion.

then we can talk about the validity or weight of each opinion and maybe you change your opinion or maybe you hold on to your already formed opinion.

Is this not better than just letting you being opinionated by strangers that might not really care or have your best interests at heart.
        Dude, you mean you read the post and could not get my opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I care, I really do.

I don't.....
          Give her a rubber cheque and p*ss off to another establishment so that she never sees another penny from you........

or

Just ******* pay... 1 nights B&B FFS whats the issue....

HTH

Comment

When I turn up on client site for the first day of a new gig, and there is no PC for me work on / network logon etc, I still bill for the day, even if its going to be a long term gig.

But then maybe I have no idea how to run a business....

HTH
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

She was right to charge you, regardless of the validity for the sob story.

Comment

I think I'd probably be annoyed enough to look for somewhere else myself.

Comment

Strictly speaking, she's in the right as she has her notice terms. But there's a time and a place to play it 'by the book' and I think she could have made an exception. Personally I'd say nothing and book into another B&B next time.

But only because poor customer service annoys me.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    She was right to charge you, regardless of the validity for the sob story.
                    Can I try another scenario?

Bloke runs a pub. He has a regular who is in every night without fail, and spends £30. One night, the regular and the landlord have a minor spat. The landlord won't back down. His team are the better team and the ref was blind. The regular gets offended and decides to drink elsewhere. The landlord is now £30 a night worse off.

If you are in the hospitality trade you are dealing with people, and there are smart things to do and these keep the till ringing well. Then of course you can stand by your principles.

In this scenario, should the landlord not have just nodded and smiled, then voiced what he really thought after the punter left?

Comment

Working...
                    X