• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linkedin may be paying off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linkedin may be paying off!

I've been using linkedin building up my network slowly over the past 12 months. I participated in the general Q&A section to no real benefit. Then I joined the new discussion groups and posted comments / answers to questions in a manner that demonstrates my skills and knowledge. This is in contrast to some other people who either give a flippant answer having not read the question or are spamming their services and helping no-one.

There has been very little so far that has led to any real work, except my current contract arose as a result of contacting an ex-colleague through linkedin.

Now, it looks like it may pay off in terms of getting extra work - I answered one question and this is what came back privately:

Thanks for the prompt response. What you're mentioning here is the exact response I was looking for.

... blah blah....

I'd be interested to have you as a consultant on a per-case basis, what are your fees like ?
    To which of course, I am replying with a suitably high rate and given the favourable exchange rate $ to £ I hope to see a result!

Anyone else found work like this?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

could be BOOMED!

The rate did not put him off! He wants to pay in USD which is going to be a problem for the umbrella - will have to sort something out and raise a contract

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      The rate did not put him off! He wants to pay in USD which is going to be a problem for the umbrella - will have to sort something out and raise a contract
      Congrats dude.

Don't use an umbrella in which case. Get a Ltd co, and you can set up a paypal account to receive the dollars (granted paypal do rake off, but proportionately less than umbrella co)

PCG does template contracts.

Well done you.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Congrats dude.

Don't use an umbrella in which case. Get a Ltd co, and you can set up a paypal account to receive the dollars (granted paypal do rake off, but proportionately less than umbrella co)

PCG does template contracts.

Well done you.
        Many thanks - its not quite in the bag yet, but yes its good news and a kick up the ass to spure me into getting away from the brolly that I have been meaning to do since January!

I'm not looking forward to choosing an accountant though

Comment

Working...
        X