• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Budget 2009

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Budget 2009

Hi All,

The budget is fast approaching and I am interested to know what you all think will be announced this year.

I am still of the thought that the government will not want to introduce too many tax hikes with an election due in the next year or so but with talk of having to go to the IMF I do wonder if Labour have no choice but to raise taxes now.

This may be even more likely with Ireland now having taken this approach:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7986862.stm

Will it be a nothing budget or are we all about to be hit with massive tax increases?

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Hi All,

The budget is fast approaching and I am interested to know what you all think will be announced this year.

I am still of the thought that the government will not want to introduce too many tax hikes with an election due in the next year or so but with talk of having to go to the IMF I do wonder if Labour have no choice but to raise taxes now.

Will it be a nothing budget or are we all about to be hit with massive tax increases?
    As usual you can ignore what is announced at the dispatch box as that will be a pack of lies and/or spin. Labour budgets have to be analysed over the following 48 hours.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Brown won't cut public spending even though he knows he can't win elections - backbenchers will want spending to continue as they would not want to lose their own seats even if Govt is no longer in power.

There will be some deferred (until next election) taxes for sure, but I doubt anything new - Brown is flying jumbo jet into the ground and won't stop until it hits it.

Comment

No obvious tax rises, that will happen in Chancellor Balls' first emergency budget after the general election (if, collective muppets that we are, we vote ZanuLabour in again).

More stealth taxes and fiscal drag again this time around. Suspension of higher rate pension contributions and ISA contributions for the next few years.

Comment

Booze, fags, anything to do with cars will go right up and possibly VAT a percent or 2 I reckon.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

What? Labour will run the country further into the ground for the next 14 months to try and win an election? Shirley some mistake.

Comment

I suspect that they will attempt to muddle along for the next six months.

They will try to make out that the measures announced in the pre-budget report are still valid. They will probably raise the tax on booze and fags on the basis that this is necessary for the country and good for people, but other than that I don't think they will deviate from the previous statements for now.

I don't think that they will take measures now to sure things up as the Irish are doing.

It is the person that is left holding the baby at the end of the year that I feel sorry for.

Comment

Hi All,

You mean you're going to do an article and you want us to write it for you?

Comment

I cant see any more big stimulus measures, not after fast Eddies intervention the other week and the failure of the gilts auction.
                  Maybe some talk about green shoots and lets wait for the current measures to take effect.
                  In the meantime, tax immigration, big cars, fags , booze. Freeze public sector recruitment and freeze the TV Licence fee.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think they'll make radical changes to try and win votes - that's all they've got left now, and they surely know it.

They'll want to win at both ends - business and the little man on the street.

I wouldn't be suprised if they reduce Corp tax or at the very least introduce a "spread your payments over 2 or 5 years" scheme.

They'll probably also reduce tax for the lowest paid, and possibly introduce new payments for those who've lost their jobs during the recession.

The "middle class" worker and higher bracket worker will get stuffed though - tax hikes on those who can afford it basically. They're going to loose those votes to the Tories anyway, so what do they care?
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X