• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You need 2.6 million to be a

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need 2.6 million to be a

millionaire these days according to:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle320363.ece

"Cancel the order for the Rolls-Royce, ease the champagne cork back into the bottle. Winning £1m no longer buys a life of luxury, according to new research that may make us rethink our financial dreams.

Inflation has eroded the value of £1m so much that it no longer warrants life membership of the high-rollers' club, according to Coutts Bank.

After years of people trying to put a price on happiness, the private bank has stepped in with the precise figure of £2.6m.

That, according the experts, is what you need to tell the boss to stick the job and take off into the sunset for a life of leisure.

",

who here has any chance of achieving this, or has achieved it already ?

Milan.

Morning Benes! Only another £2,599,995 to go then.

I think I'd feel I would have accomplished something by paying off the mortgage in a few years and having a lump sum to cover short term expenses.

With potentially a future of school fees and an ever increasing tax burden, even as a true independent making good money now I feel the goalposts are simply moving further away as I keep moving towards them.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Hyper,

I don't know why you plan long term over there,

things would surely easier in Magyarsko for somebody of
      your means ?

Milan.

Comment

Good point, fortunately already covered. We're looking at properties out there, wife has kept her nationality and gets some tax breaks I believe.

It's more a semi-retirement plan than anything.

Very unlikely I'll be staying in ol' blightly though. Fancy growing wine in Tokaj!

However, now's the time to work hard and smart and build the long term cash.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Money won't make you happy.

I'd rather live in a pissed stained bedsit with only my crusty sock puppet as a friend and be happy that have £2.6M and be miserable.

Comment

Money won't make you happy.
            It's a lie you know. A big fat lie. Money does make you happy. Makes you very happy. People who have money and are still miserable are usually suffering from some other problem generally caused by excessive use of columbian marching powder etc. etc.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Oh FFS. There I was happily on my way to a million and New Labour change the f-cking goalposts. Typical!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Threaded,
                On your signature, you have "Threadeds" (no apostrophe) and on the tulipe itself, you have Threadeds' (apostrophe in the wrong place).
                It should be "Threaded's". Do sort this out - there's a good chap.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                X