• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Secret police intelligence was given to E.ON

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secret police intelligence was given to E.ON

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ap...ence-e-on-berr

So the police give secret intelligence on British subjects on British soil to a foreign private company.

But hey, if you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to fear.

And?

Why shouldn't E.ON be informed about a planned protest at one of their power stations?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      And?

Why shouldn't E.ON be informed about a planned protest at one of their power stations?
      It didn't say they were "informed". It said they were "given secret police intelligence".

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        It didn't say they were "informed". It said they were "given secret police intelligence".
        I think that's a little bit of scaremongering. It's not like the guardian has form.

• BERR officials passed a strategy document belonging to the "environmental protest community" to E.ON, saying: "If you haven't seen this then you will be interested in its contents."

• Government officials forwarded a Metropolitan police intelligence document to E.ON, detailing the movements and whereabouts of climate protesters in the run-up to demonstration.

• E.ON passed its planning strategy for the protest to the department's civil servants, adding: "Contact numbers will follow."

• BERR and E.ON tried to share information about their media strategies before the protest, and civil servants asked the energy company for press contacts for EDF, BP and Kent police.
        It's hardly state secrets.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
          It's hardly state secrets.
          Doesn't make it right.

I'll pass the following information to any interested parties...

Today, Incognito attended meetings with x, y, and z.
          He visited the British museum and spent a long time looking at the Rosetta stone. Blah blah blah
          None of that is in any way embarrassing or criminal, that said there's no reason for anybody to know what you got up to. I'd say it's an invasion of privacy.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Doesn't make it right.

I'll pass the following information to any interested parties...

None of that is in any way embarrassing or criminal, that said there's no reason for anybody to know what you got up to. I'd say it's an invasion of privacy.
            I'd disagree, the National Grid is a key UK installation and anything that affects the Grid can affect National security. So passing on plans of disruption to the security teams at these installations are a bit different than passing on information of me going about my daily life.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

I'd disagree, the National Grid is a key UK installation and anything that affects the Grid can affect National security. So passing on plans of disruption to the security teams at these installations are a bit different than passing on information of me going about my daily life.
              Wrong! If national security is involved, the people to police it are, well, the police.

Comment

+1

If the protesters had forced the power station to shut down it could have caused massive disruption with trains, hospitals etc without power.

But the Guardian chose to refer to E.ON as a "foreign company". Foreign (French) companies run our nuclear power plants, and probably have regular contact with government, police intelligence and security services on various matters. Zut-alors, sacre bleu! The Guardian hasn't picked up on this yet!
                Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm all for civil liberties, and shocked at recent antics re photography in public places, of police etc...

...but the security services sharing intelligence to mitigate potential disruption to key infrastructure seems like legitimate business as usual to me.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Wrong! If national security is involved, the people to police it are, well, the police.
                    The police will police it, they're simply sharing information with the relevant security departments so if needs be they could bring in extra staff, cancel holidays, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X