• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Accounts

I often get emails containing details as to which current account is offering the best deals and promotional enticements but have never bothered giving them more than a cursory glance as i've not changed my bank account since getting my first one at uni.

Just wondering if anyone on here has changed their bank account since they got their first one and was it worth the hassle/£50 inducement...?
    Never changed
    27.78%
    Changed it once, never again
    5.56%
    Changed it more than once
    50.00%
    I love AndyW
    16.67%

I changed once but it was for service reasons, not to chase the best rate. I don't recall any issues but it was about 15 years ago and I didn't have any direct debits at that time.

If I remember rightly, the only niggles back then would have been setting up new direct debits if you had any but that should be much easier now than it was then.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      I changed once but it was for service reasons, not to chase the best rate. I don't recall any issues but it was about 15 years ago and I didn't have any direct debits at that time.

If I remember rightly, the only niggles back then would have been setting up new direct debits if you had any but that should be much easier now than it was then.
      Most banks have transfer teams, apparently. They will do it all for you, including any DD and associated accounts. Never used the service but was offered it by Abbey

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Most banks have transfer teams, apparently. They will do it all for you, including any DD and associated accounts. Never used the service but was offered it by Abbey

In the last century, direct debit changes had to be paper based and were a potential nightmare.

These can be done electronically now.

Comment

I'm in the process of changing from Alliance & Leicester to HSBC for my personal accounts.

HSBC do a direct debit / standing order switching services, and promise to pay £10 for each error they make in the process of switching to them.
          Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Changed once for service reasons (to Barclays, wanted to get all my accounts (business and personal) on one website), not for any benefits.

Would I change again, unlikely as it does what I want at a price I'm happy paying.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X