• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK recession wipes out business case for Offshoring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK recession wipes out business case for Offshoring

"Last week I heard a former offshoring consultant say that the impact of recession on contract rates, on top of the fall in the value of Western Currencies (not just the pound), had all but wiped out the case for moving East to save cost."

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...t-busines.html

Seems almost off topic to post a real contracting story here!
    Cats are evil.

Absolutely. You would have thought that now would be the ideal time to start a new IT project - all those contractors waiting to snap your hand off for the role at a greatly reduced rate....
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Para 2 is entertaining.

Those moving offshore are now more likely to be doing so to avoid the regulatory and other overhead costs of running a business within the UK/EU or to obtain skills that are no longer available here, because of the run-down of our indiginous IT skills base.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        "Last week I heard a former offshoring consultant say that the impact of recession on contract rates, on top of the fall in the value of Western Currencies (not just the pound), had all but wiped out the case for moving East to save cost."

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...t-busines.html

Seems almost off topic to post a real contracting story here!
        The case for offshoring was looking fairly shakey a few years ago. Did not stop some doing it though

Comment

Some of the offshore staff I have had to work with are pathetically bad at their jobs. If management cannot see that there is a technology case for not offshoring then why should we expect them to see a business case.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
            The case for offshoring was looking fairly shakey a few years ago. Did not stop some doing it though
            The case was always one of saving money. The fact that the level of service would drop was of no importance - invariably the bigger offshoring deals were made by an executive paid to slash costs, and usually the bulk of his/her remittance would be based on the amount of cost savings over a 3 or 5 year period. If the service was naff, it wasn't their problem it was someone else's, because they usually take their money and run.

Take away the cost savings, take away the offshoring.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Some of the world’s largest companies have a recruitment freeze on meaning no-one is leaving or starting new jobs within these companies, for a support guy like me that is serious bad new.

For the last month or so I had no new laptops to configure, no accounts to set up or delete, no new connections to setup or remove, no noob calls or training to do, hardware refresh was put on hold too. The result being my contract was cut short.

I suppose when the freeze is over they'll be inundated but when??
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
              X