• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgages for Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgages for Contractors

I've just got off the phone with my Accountants IFA, discussing mortgaes for contractors. She told me that currently mortgage providers want to see 2 years of UK accounts from contractors and require a minimum 25% deposit. This is a problem for me as I've been out of the country for a few years.

Anyone know any providers who can offer a contractor a mortgage with say 1 years accounts only and 15% deposit?

My girlfriend is a teacher so at least she has what they see as a stable income - does this even help?

Have you tried your own bank?, you might not get the best rates but usually your own bank will be able to see your current account and will lend on that basis (not accounts) failing that your Business Account Manager should be able to help you. Once you have a mortgage its easier (although not so much at the moment) to switch to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      I've just got off the phone with my Accountants IFA, discussing mortgaes for contractors. She told me that currently mortgage providers want to see 2 years of UK accounts from contractors and require a minimum 25% deposit. This is a problem for me as I've been out of the country for a few years.

Anyone know any providers who can offer a contractor a mortgage with say 1 years accounts only and 15% deposit?

My girlfriend is a teacher so at least she has what they see as a stable income - does this even help?
      Try a mortgage broker who can actually speak to the decision makers. Complete Mortgages in Guildford got me a mortgage with 18 months' books and 15% deposit, but that was late 2005. In the end the lender never even spoke to my accountant; just seeing all my old contracts plus the low lending sum was enough for them to approve my application immediately.

However most 'normal' mortgages require at least 25% deposit these days (as opposed to -10% in 2005!), so I don't see how you're going to get round this.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

You could try these guys: http://www.contractormoney.com/ to see if they can help.
        I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Simple. Rent until you've got a decent deposit and credit record.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
            You could try these guys: http://www.contractormoney.com/ to see if they can help.
            WHS

Contractor money work on Daily rate, not 18 months of accounts. All they needed from me was a copy of my current contract.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
              WHS

Contractor money work on Daily rate, not 18 months of accounts. All they needed from me was a copy of my current contract.
              Chap I worked with spoke highly of them too, if that's any help.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thanks for the advice,

I just spoke to them, and yes as you said they can base a mortgage based on even a short term contract extrapolated out to a 48 week year. Great - that means I can leave my sucky permanent role!!! Woohoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  Thanks for the advice,

I just spoke to them, and yes as you said they can base a mortgage based on even a short term contract extrapolated out to a 48 week year. Great - that means I can leave my sucky permanent role!!! Woohoo!!
                  Yup because it's a great time to junk your permie role and get a short term contract just before getting yourself into the largest amount of debt you have ever had.....

Comment

WTS

Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Working...
                    X