• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Agrees to Acquire Sun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Agrees to Acquire Sun

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124022726514434703.html

I wonder what that means for Sun's hardware

Thanks God it was not IBM that got them, Oracle probably want them for mySQL, don't think I will ever see a solaris box again in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124022726514434703.html

I wonder what that means for Sun's hardware
      Not just that, but MySQL and Solaris as well - Oracle could start pushing their Linux over Solaris, and OpenSolaris looks doomed. Might have to start brushing up my AIX and HPUX...

Comment

Why would Oracle want mySQL ? I recall they have a database offering of their own

But they do want Java.

I wonder if they're serious about becoming a hardware player.

Why do you think it would have been bad if IBM got them? I think IBM would have ported Solaris to their own architecture, giving SUN users the opportunity to get at some decent hardware for once

Comment

Why do you think it would have been bad if IBM got them? I think IBM would have ported Solaris to their own architecture, giving SUN users the opportunity to get at some decent hardware for once
          OpenSolaris has been ported to their hardware, zSeries only though. Does this mean that Sun software is now going to cost an extortionate amount of money, much like most of Oracle's stuff already does?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Why would Oracle want mySQL ? I recall they have a database offering of their own

But they do want Java.

So far as I'm aware, Oracle already own Innodb (which is the transaction-based engine for Mysql). Perhaps they just want the full set?

Yep - link here
            Last edited by MrMark; 20 April 2009, 12:48. Reason: add relevant link
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Bit out in the wild here, but Cisco have just gotten into the hardware game. Might be looking for some tin.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

But they do want Java.

Massive amounts of support revenue could be gained from mySQL, I'm going to make a guess that about 95% of databases in the world are mySQL.

Most of the big hitters are buying up open source products to be placed as a 'diet' product.

Java will never make a penny, I vote on the JCP, Java has pretty much been out sourced to the community.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Massive amounts of support revenue could be gained from mySQL, I'm going to make a guess that about 95% of databases in the world are mySQL.

Most of the big hitters are buying up open source products to be placed as a 'diet' product.

Java will never make a penny, I vote on the JCP, Java has pretty much been out sourced to the community.
                  Apart from the £200 million they annuonced as making off JAVA directly in last years earnings report. As you know they make money off JVM licenses and the various other indirect ways to make money off JAVA. Sure thats small fry in the big corp world, but to say JAVA does not make money is just not true.

Lets bury that old urban myth that JAVA makes no money. It makes enough money to fund itself.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
                    Apart from the £200 million they annuonced as making off JAVA directly in last years earnings report. As you know they make money off JVM licenses and the various other indirect ways to make money off JAVA. Sure thats small fry in the big corp world, but to say JAVA does not make money is just not true.

Lets bury that old urban myth that JAVA makes no money. It makes enough money to fund itself.
                    I think we have to ask for a point of evidence on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X