• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Country with the biggest network of high speed trains?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country with the biggest network of high speed trains?

Japan? France? Germany?

You'd be wrong:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124018395386633143.html

Now why can't we do that?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    We spend all out money on public sector pensions.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      We spend all out money on public sector pensions.
      bank bailouts

Comment

Japan? France? Germany?

You'd be wrong:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124018395386633143.html

Seriously? Because it would require a massive upgrade program to existing tracks, significant investment in the trains themselves and preferably some mechanism to ensure they actually run on time..

None of this is possible with a privatised network since the costs far outstrip the financial rewards. Whilst a government-owned network *might* account for the intangible benefits such as community cohesion; private companies will not.
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Franco would be pleased.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

One of the reasons they were able to find (private) capital for these new lines was because the occupancy levels were good for the original Madrid-Seville line. However I've not been able to find the occupancy levels for the new lines. Would be interesting to see if their recession is having an effect on this. Having said that, apparently the air-shuttle services between Madrid and Barcelona have been hard hit by the new fast train line.
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

It's also worth noting that they are not as constrained by planning regulations as we are here. In Spain if the government want to knock down your house to build a railway line, they just do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                It's also worth noting that they are not as constrained by planning regulations as we are here. In Spain if the government want to knock down your house to build a railway line, they just do it.

True, but they will also aim to knock down foreigners' homes rather than indigenous folks properties. Spain are a very racist country.

Comment

I took the AVE train from Madrid to Seville a few years back. Superb service and cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    Very true, our planning and Public Enquiry system causes all sorts of issues for any major infrastructure work.

I was working for Railtrack when they were doing the East Coast Mainline and Channel Link projects and the costs and delays associated with Planning objections dwarfed the engineering costs of the actual projects.
                    Decades of poor maintenance budgets and outright neglect of the infrastructure has left us needing a massive programme of work to bring the network into the 20th let alone the 21st centrury.

Comment

Working...
                    X