• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truely boomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truely boomed!

Brown aims to pick ‘boom industries’ for extra backing

A GRAND plan to invest government support in boom industries of the future was launched by Lord Mandelson and Gordon Brown today.

Critics said the strategy was a throwback to the failed economics of the Seventies when governments believed they could “pick winners” that would create prosperity.

But the Prime Minister dismissed the comparison, saying that at a time of unprecedented upheavals in world economies it was vital to spot where new opportunities lay and help British firms exploit them.

“We have got to look at what our inherent strengths are and build on those strengths to build for the future,” he said. “You can't go back to the old policy of picking winners and hoping that will work.”

Measures would include skills training, faster planning laws and investment in science.

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said growing industries such as low-carbon technologies could get help with innovation, skills, finance, infrastructure and trade.

But the Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman, Vince Cable, said: “I saw this 25 years ago and it would just mean committees of politicians and civil servants claiming to know more than businesses do. The real future industries are often firms that no  one has yet heard of.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ing/article.do
    Cats are evil.

Is it just me or are the Lib Dems actually making more and more sense these days?

If they carry on this way, they may win my vote...

... from the monster raving loney party...
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
      Is it just me or are the Lib Dems actually making more and more sense these days?
      No, it's not just you, but remember that the idiots in power would even make me look good.

Comment

Working...
      X