• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I earn less than a permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I earn less than a permie

Currently contracting in north wales, rates are pretty low @ £22 per hour

Permies are on 28k per year.

We work shifts, its a 4 on 6 off rota, but as we are subbies we choose to do 5 on 5 off and get some extra hours.

Last year I bagged 48k on this rota, we get an additional £143 per week shift allowance.

However............... permies get a 42% shift allowance, which completely wipes the floor with our measly £143.

A 28k permie, with a 42% uplift brings him to 39.76k, then increase his wages by 25% for working 5 on 5 off and not just 4 on 6 off.

Brings mr permie to 49.7

And? Get a permie job then. Was there a reason for posting this.

Are you factoring in that you get to pay less NIC by using the divi route and you get paid travel allowance.

So if you are using your allowed expenses you should be paying a lot less tax.

In any case if you don't like it lump it - no-one said you should get paid more than a permie.

Comment

I feel really sorry for you. Maybe you should just quit the post to demonstrate to the client how unfair this all is.

Would it make you feel better if they earned minimum wage?
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Get a job the other 5 days you aren't working. Then you'll earn double what you do now. Sorted?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Madocks View Post
          Have you heard of that place called Manchester 40 miles down the road? I hear the rates are pretty good there.

North Wales is for tourists and farmers, not contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Madocks View Post

Permies are on 28k per year.

We work shifts, its a 4 on 6 off rota, but as we are subbies we choose to do 5 on 5 off and get some extra hours.

Last year I bagged 48k on this rota, we get an additional £143 per week shift allowance.

However............... permies get a 42% shift allowance, which completely wipes the floor with our measly £143.

A 28k permie, with a 42% uplift brings him to 39.76k, then increase his wages by 25% for working 5 on 5 off and not just 4 on 6 off.

Brings mr permie to 49.7
            Well go permie then.

Jeez, some people need their arses wiped for them. Usually the permies.

Comment

I would rather work for myself for less than minimum wage, selling chips (which I hate) from the back of a van to drunken farmers at the local speedway than suffer the torment and indignity of life as a permie.

It's not just about the money.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I don't care what permies earn.

DO NOT COMPARE 2009 WITH PRIOR YEARS.
                Yes they are earning more this year, but have they averaged more over the last 10 years. I don't think so
                I contract because I enjoy the lifestyle . Its my decision whether I take no holidays or 100 days . I can have a reasonable amount of gaps on my CV.
                I have been a accounts temp/IT contractor all my working life. My brother has been a permie at the same Bank since he left school. How boring.
                I have taken time off to do an accounting degree,study French,hitch hike around Australia and do voluntary work.
                I can avoid office politics,social bonding weekends. At 6 pm the Permies go home whereas contractors usually agree to meet at a local pub or restuarant.
                2009 will be a difficult year for me but so was 2002-2003 career wise.
                Maybe some contractors will have a good 2009 but a bad 2012. It all depends
                on your skill set and your location. While money is important ,its also the social contact that I miss while being on the bench.

Comment

I earn more as a permie than your contracting rates.........

Seriously, what kind of contractor are you Taffy?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    I earn more as a permie than your contracting rates.........

Seriously, what kind of contractor are you Taffy?
                    ******* hell. Your getting brave you are.

Comment

Working...
                    X