• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property Prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Prices

Property prices in my area (Berkshire) still seem to be optomistic at best. Sellers have reduced them, but not as much as I would have expected. I suspect they are waiting for prices to recover or are placing their houses on rent and moving on.

This isn't based on any in depth investigation but on a quick appraisal of the local market and from a brief, second-hand, conversation with an estate agent.

Obviously, prices vary across regions but is this the general consensus - the expected property crash failed to materalise, so far, and I am not sure it will either.

Local estate agent tells me that prices in prices in this town haven't fallen due to a shortage of properties. In other words, for anyone wanting to buy in the town, there are only 1 or two properties in any category for sale. So demand exceeds supply and prices haven't fallen.

It surprised me but it makes sense.

Comment

depends how you define a "property crash". I expect there are fewer sales in your area (as everywhere else), because prospective vendors are either unable or unwilling to market their property at a realistic price, that would receive bids.

e.g. from anecdotal evidence, I know a handful of people who would be keen to move but either have too little (or no) equity in their current homes to fund a required deposit. So they must wait until the market recovers, or until they can save sufficient cash for a deposit.

Comment

Are the estate agents being boarded up yet ?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Prices round my way for a 2 bed cottage have fallen from 350-400k to 300-350k, but at the higher prices, places are on the market for ages.

Properly priced property (under 300k for same) is going quickly - there was one around the corner from our place that was sold in the first week because it was well priced.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Properly priced property (under 300k for same) is going quickly - there was one around the corner from our place that was sold in the first week because it was well priced.

because there is a sucker born every day

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

because there is a sucker born every day
              I agree. Property still has further to fall. Of course there is no such thing as a property market : there are several markets.

Comment

Working...
              X