• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washington

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington

That's Washington County Durham, not the other one. Got the possibiltity of a short term contract there - anyone know what it's like in terms of places to stay etc? Ideally I'd be looking for a country pub with a thatched roof or maybe a boutiquey style B&B / hotel. I've never been further north than Shropshire so wouldn't have a clue myself

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    That's Washington County Durham, not the other one. Got the possibiltity of a short term contract there - anyone know what it's like in terms of places to stay etc? Ideally I'd be looking for a country pub with a thatched roof or maybe a boutiquey style B&B / hotel. I've never been further north than Shropshire so wouldn't have a clue myself
    Whereabouts in Washington? It's broken down into district no's.

There's industrial parks, the odd shopping center and obviously the town center.Lots of places to stay, you won't have to look too far.

Bit quiet on the nightlife though, Newcastle is only @20 miles away
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

boutiquey style B&B

In Washington?

Post of the day, surely?!!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Even the boutiques in Washington aren't boutiquey style

Premier Inn is about the best you can hope for I'm afraid!
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

Oh, ok. I take it it's not exactly picturesque then?
          Just thought it would be nice to find a place where I could unwind with a gin and tonic and a bowl of olives
          after a day at the office, especially with summer coming up and all that...

Comment

Oh, ok. I take it it's not exactly picturesque then?
            Just thought it would be nice to find a place where I could unwind with a gin and tonic and a bowl of olives
            after a day at the office, especially with summer coming up and all that...
            you can definately get the gin up there, but I dont think they do tonic or olives

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

No, Washington is a tuliphole, it's all motorways, roundabouts, nasty shopping centres and industrial estates. You'd probably be better off staying in Gateshead/Newcastle and comuting there (20 minute drive tops).

Don't stay in Sunderland it's also a ******* dump.

Comment

This is about as boutique as it gets I'm afraid.

http://www.aboutbritain.com/hotels/hotel7057.asp

Will you be driving or using public transport? (bwahahahahaha)

There are more boutique places either in Newcastle (though it's busy both ways at rush hour) or in the County Durham countryside....
                'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                  This is about as boutique as it gets I'm afraid.

http://www.aboutbritain.com/hotels/hotel7057.asp

Will you be driving or using public transport? (bwahahahahaha)

There are more boutique places either in Newcastle (though it's busy both ways at rush hour) or in the County Durham countryside....
                  Neither as it happens, I'd be getting around on my scooter so I'd need to be within 10 miles or so. Your linky looks ok though, seems v cheap for what it is. Ta.

Comment

it would be nice to find a place where I could unwind with a gin and tonic and a bowl of olives .

Please....no more.......

<breathe>

Right...Washington is AWFUL!!!!! Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful.

It's ok to work there, but leave as soon as the bell goes, run to your car, dont make eye contact with anyone and flee as fast as your engine can go!

The North East is like a little triangle really - Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland - all 20/30 minutes from each other.
                    Washington is nearest Sunderland, towards the centre of the triangle, so it'll be 10 mins from Sunderland City Centre, 20 mins from Durham, and 25 from Newcastle (ish).

It depends on what you like as to where you should stay...if you're after "boutique" then you're going to be disappointed whereever you go, cause none of the North East cities have a clue when it comes to that kind of thing!
                    Unless you want to pay a small fortune for one of the little places on Newcastle Quayside (forget the name of the one next to the Egypt Cottage (pub), or the one above the Living Room(pub) in the City Centre)

If you want cheap and near to Washington, I'd say get yourself in one of the little B&B's in Sunderland, down Roker (on the coast). Roker Avenue just has B&B after B&B like in any coastal town.

There's also a Hotel on the seafront called the Roker Hotel. They *try* to be boutiquey!
                    The do lovely food in the pub, and it has a Thai place and a very nice Italian downstairs from it too. Also they have sky sports on every night and a pool table etc etc. If I was staying up in Sunderland on business I'd definatrelty stay there.
                    It's 10 mins in a taxi to the city centre if you fancy branching out into the mackem toon (I'm sensing a CUK mackem do coming on like!!!!!!)
                    http://www.tavistockleisure.com/inde...-at-the-roker/
                    (They want shooting with sh*t for this website).

If you're into that kind of gin and tonic with olives plastic sophistication though, you'd probably be best off in Durham with the rest of the hoittie-toittie.
                    I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Durham though, cause I hate it.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X