• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing an old client a 'favour'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing an old client a 'favour'

I got asked to do a small bug fix job for a old client - actually a co I was a perm at a few years ago..after intial quick analysis it looked like a small enough job to fit in with other things so I replied with:

"Yes at x rate providing that your source control is ready for code checkout and a development machine is ready with the appropriate tools installed." I get the right reply, a purchase order arrives and we arrange a start date which was Monday this week..Needless to say I get to site, their source control is broken and their development machine is crippled beyond use.

Anyway two days later and after mucho intial hassle, the job is now near complete and I'm told I will be compensated financially for the inconveniences so no problems in that area..but not compensated for having to put up with one of my original reasons for leaving the co in the first place; the financial director is royal T*T and I did have to engage in a couple of conversations with him which was cringe-worthy...the only words that come close to describing him is a complete void of social skills or human personality...deep breath and relax, I remind myself it's now over, I'm getting paid and I won't ever go back again.

Any similar experiences here anyone?
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post

Anyway two days later and after mucho intial hassle, the job is now near complete and I'm told I will be compensated financially for the inconveniences so no problems in that area..
    You think?

Hope you're right, but good luck with that one...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Own my own - I wouldnt have no boss
      But Id be raising my lonely dental floss
      With my zicron encrusted tweezers in the Moonlight

Raising it up - melting it down
      In a little white box
      that I could sell uptown

Id get me a horse about this big ,,,,

Comment

Yup, I've gone back to an old permie place. I was amazed by how many staff were still there ten years on, and how little the company had changed.

They went bust a few months later. It must have been my invoice (paid in full) that did it.

Comment

One of the reasons I'd worry about doing this would be the inevitable follow up:

"Since you 'fixed' that problem, another problem has appeared, must be caused by your fix - you broke something - come back urgently and get it sorted"

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            One of the reasons I'd worry about doing this would be the inevitable follow up:

"Since you 'fixed' that problem, another problem has appeared, must be caused by your fix - you broke something - come back urgently and get it sorted"

That's what unit tests are for. I assume they have a full suite of unit tests?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Its a good point. I had a 4 month contract at Tokyo Mitsubishi where we wrote software for traders : tried to negotiate a support contract. They would not pay anything so I wrote some notes. First day after I left I got a call saying it was broken. I decide to turn up (bad move!) and the fix was in my notes item 1. They had not looked atall. After that I just ignored their calls.

Comment

They're all good points about the problems with bug fixing an existing system. The client does know they now have to perform further internal analysis to do to ensure the system is now fully working as it should, although they are completely mickey mouse and do not have any dedicated test team, test suite, any permanent software staff or even know what an automated unit test is..

There could well be repercussions, but I have delivered what they requested on their purchase order and written a post bug fix analysis report for them to follow..which they probably won't read either.
                Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Its a good point. I had a 4 month contract at Tokyo Mitsubishi where we wrote software for traders : tried to negotiate a support contract. They would not pay anything so I wrote some notes. First day after I left I got a call saying it was broken. I decide to turn up (bad move!) and the fix was in my notes item 1. They had not looked atall. After that I just ignored their calls.
                  I think, given that it was in the documentation that you had left and they had not read that I would have asked for some kind of payment.

I don't usually get calls from previous companies based largely on the fact that I'm not very good. I work on the basis there are plenty of other suckers out there!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I don't usually get calls from previous companies based largely on the fact that I'm not very good. I work on the basis there are plenty of other suckers out there!
                    I also dont get calls from past clients . Although I am good at my work I don't talk much.
                    Result - no extension.
                    My contracting career will be finished when I run out of suckers.

Comment

Working...
                    X