• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Premier League and FA run by donkeys, says Mohamed Al Fayed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al Fayed intends to begin a crusade to cap footballers' "sky-high" wages

Al Fayed intends to begin a crusade to cap footballers' "sky-high" wages
    Ben Smith

Mohamed Al Fayed has launched a scathing attack on the state of the game in England and says he is determined to launch a crusade against the "donkeys" who run the Premier League and FA.

The Harrods owner's outspoken and seemingly unprovoked tirade came as he reaffirmed his commitment to Fulham and dismissed reports he intends to sell the club. Al Fayed also said he plans to campaign to cap footballers' "sky-high" wages and invited his Premier League owners, who he said needed to wake up from their "comas", to join him for lunch at Harrods to discuss his plans.

"I own the best club in the world, with the best team and the best fans," Al Fayed said in a statement on the club's official website. "I want to reassure people of this, because sometimes there are naughty rumours that I may sell the club.

"I am not going to give up on other things in the game either. Take my crusade against sky-high players' wages.

"Our expenses bill rose by 17 per cent last year. How can it be right for top players to be earning £15-20million a year? It's crazy. These wages need to be capped.

"But I worry that it won't happen because the Premier League and the FA are run by donkeys who don't understand business, who are dazzled by money."

Al Fayed also called for television money to be distributed more evenly in order to benefit every team in the Premier League and not just the top four. "All around the world, football fans are paying to watch top matches on TV," he said. "And yet do most clubs see any of that money? No. We are hopelessly dependent on our end-of-season league placing to determine our share of the cash. It makes a difference of feast or famine every season.

"Yet even then, except for the top four clubs, we're only talking about a difference of a few million, which doesn't get you far.

"I want to help other clubs. I speak my mind and other chairmen should too. They need to wake up from their coma and join me in this fight with the Premier League and the FA.

"In fact, they can come and have lunch with me at Harrods, where I can serve them stags' testicles from my Scottish estate, Balnagown. We all need big balls in this business."

--------

Maybe he should be made head of FA to make such decisions - if he manages to get these salarie down by 50% or more he should get British Passport he so wants...

But we have the best league in the world.

I think shopkeepers should have their wages capped too.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I think shopkeepers should have their wages capped too.
      Shopkeepers don't earn £100k per week to kick ball.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Shopkeepers don't earn £100k per week to kick ball.

HTH
        He earns more than that without kicking a ball.

It's a market out there, why should Sky and the Premier League make millions and not pay the stars that make it all possible their fair share?

HTH
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

He earns more than that without kicking a ball.
          His earings are those from dividends, he does not pay himself ridiculous salary that is 70% of his business costs.

Comment

Agree with the concept, but unless it's a European wide thing it's pointless (Or at least would mean the EPL losing a fair chunk of it's star players to pastures greener).
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Agree with the concept, but unless it's a European wide thing it's pointless
              Yes I agree - it needs to be EU wide.

In USA (country of capitalism) they got such controls long time ago and if players try to **** about then it is possible whole season won't be there: owners there got balls and enough brains to know that if they allow player costs to be out of control it will kill industry.

Comment

Players are a football clubs biggest assets, they make or break the club, the club is nothing without them.

If you want to play at the top of the premiership and you want the worlds best players then you will have to pay them the going market rate.

Comment

you will have to pay them the going market rate.
                  No, you don't have to - put a cap on wages EU wide and if they feel they earn too little from kicking the ball then they can pursue some other professions.

Clubs are getting deep in debt to get players - it should not be possible to do that, some top clubs will disagree because they benefit most from this wage inflation as it prevents other clubs from getting players, but majority of clubs should come together and crack down on it.

The clubs' biggest assets should be its fans, history and only then players - those who stay loyal to club rather than jump it for higher salary elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Yes I agree - it needs to be EU wide.

In USA (country of capitalism) they got such controls long time ago and if players try to **** about then it is possible whole season won't be there: owners there got balls and enough brains to know that if they allow player costs to be out of control it will kill industry.
                    I don't want to see a draft system where tradition, history and youth development mean absolutely nothing.

American sport is joke and even with their system the top stars are still earning more than prem players. $20m per annum for a basketball payer FFS!!

Comment

Working...
                    X