• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you ever feel you've made wrong choices?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever feel you've made wrong choices?

It's gorgeous and sunny today, and all I want to do is take a half day and go and sit outside a pub with my husband.

But we can't. Cause we're both in stupid contracts.

If we were permies we could take a half day, and even ring in sick in the morning, and nothing would spoil.

Even last night we got home (about 7ish - out the house for 13 hours, eyes down to our feet) and I fancied nipping out for a couple of pints - just to get out! Just to feel like we've got a life as opposed to an existance!
    But he said no :-( Too tired, staying off the drink through the week cause we go apesh*t at the weekend to unwind.
    Even last Sunday - he's got the screaming humphs from about 10am cause he couldn't face trecking down to Leeds on Monday morning! If it's ruining your Sunday then you've made the wrong choices surely?!

So...if we both became permies...we'd have less cash. Maybe downscale our house. Not spend as much on Virgin wines. Be a slave to "the man".

....who cares? We'd have our life back!!!

Humph
    The pope is a tard.

Sadly, I'm afraid a permie salary wouldn't pay Mrs Bloggs credit card bill every month now.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
      It's gorgeous and sunny today, and all I want to do is take a half day and go and sit outside a pub with my husband.

If we were permies we could take a half day, and even ring in sick in the morning, and nothing would spoil.

Even last night we got home (about 7ish - out the house for 13 hours, eyes down to our feet) and I fancied nipping out for a couple of pints - just to get out! Just to feel like we've got a life as opposed to an existance!
      But he said no :-( Too tired, staying off the drink through the week cause we go apesh*t at the weekend to unwind.
      Even last Sunday - he's got the screaming humphs from about 10am cause he couldn't face trecking down to Leeds on Monday morning! If it's ruining your Sunday then you've made the wrong choices surely?!

So...if we both became permies...we'd have less cash. Maybe downscale our house. Not spend as much on Virgin wines. Be a slave to "the man".

Humph
      Its good to talk SA

I'm feeling the same and I might just say f' it and take tomorrow/friday off and spend it with the wife.

Comment

Perversely, you are lucky in a way, because you both understand the burden the other is carrying.
        Many contractors, <cough>, carry their spouses, kids, family , friends, and no one is the wiser, they just soldier on without too much recognition. Living away, living a sh 1 te life.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Where I'm working at the moment it's the complete opposite. The permies - a couple of miserable ex-contractors amongst them - are contracted to work overtime when required, unpaid! And they have just been required to work straight through the next two weekends. The contractors, meanwhile, are making a point of taking it easy and sticking to contracted hours. And still getting the work done.

I used to hate having to book holiday time and have days off recorded when I was a permie. How do you, as a contractor, not have the freedom to take an afternoon off if you feel like it? You can have as many afternoons off as you fancy, as long as the work's being done. Unless you work on a help desk or something, I suppose?

Comment

I think I have made the wrong choices on a regular basis about almost everything, but I hope I never have to be a permie again :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

Humph
              I would not convinced you would get your life back. I think you would be stressed by lack of money and feel stressed in your job.

Why not just call in sick anyway?

Comment

I'm working harder as a permie than I did as a contractor - go figure!
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Took a gig working away, and I'm hating it. The work is ok, the people are ok. The surroundings are ok (Cheshire). I just miss my family. I'm doing this for them obviously, but as you say, Sunday afternoon the grump kicks in because you are dreading the 160 mile drive on Monday morning followed by the day shift. How is it possible to get this homesick when you are only away for 4 nights?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

SA,

unless you get a job where you really can switch off after hours (e.g. factory worker, postie) then the stress and politics would be worse as a perm than as now.

And you'd have money worries too.

Comment

Working...
                    X