• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I stop smoking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop smoking?

Ok folks, top tips here please. I'm sick of it. Last time I tried I was an absolute nightmare to be around (apparently).

What's worked for you?
    Do you still get cravings?
    What's keeping you stopped?
    Did you set a date and do it?
    Did you plan, and/or cut down gradually?
    Did you just stop on impulse one day? If so, what was it that gave you such resolve?
    Did you make it public and thus put pressure on yourself, or quit quietly?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Ok folks, top tips here please. I'm sick of it. Last time I tried I was an absolute nightmare to be around (apparently).

What's worked for you?
    Did you just stop on impulse one day? If so, what was it that gave you such resolve?

Thanks in advance.
    I stopped on Xmas Eve and not had one since.

You really really have to want to stop.

Discard your lighters ashtrays - cigs - right now.

Tell all your friends - thats it - you have quit for good.

Yes you will feel lousy for a few days - but its sure worth it.

As for cravings - when they come up - I think "OK I have this craving for a cig - but if I have one - then I will feel much worse ,depressed and hate myself.'

After four months I rarely get cracvings but if I do Im even more determined Im not gonna let it get the better of me.

Its the pleasure principle - why damage your integrity, your health and your wallet over a short term pleasure - you have to take the longer view.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 22 April 2009, 11:59.

Comment

Everyone's got a pet theory, but the science shows nicotine substitutes are a good way to lessen the pain - and people who use them have a higher success rate.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Comment

I just stopped smoking at home so I could get by on 5 a day at work and just chewed gum at home, then I started having my first smoke later an later and started chewing the gum at work until I stopped.

It all went well for a month then I was benched... back on 5 a day during working hours at home, the misses would kill me if she knew.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Umm,

Well define stopped?

I never smoke unless there's beer involved, and can drink beer and not smoke but for the last 6 years I'm still kind of sort of smoking when I been drinking.

But, for me and sheer bloody will power worked, after fck knows how many attempts using patches and various other 'techniques'.

Just gotta want it enough, and maintain that wanting it for a very long time until it's out of (most) of your life completely.

I'll be smoking on May 29th though
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

What's worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

Nicorettes gum worked for me. That and 'stop putting the bloody things in your mouth' i.e. willpower.

Can't do the 'only smoke when I drink option'. It's all or nothing for me.

Comment

A mate of mine tells me it's easy to stop smoking - he's done it 5 or 6 times now
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I'm in the same boat, really want to quit, feel like a leper these days being a smoker.

The only time i managed to crack it for any length of time (6 months) was when i had a total change of scene - started a new job and quit prior to starting. This change of routine, combined with those lozenge things (they make your mouth hurt after a couple of weeks though!) made it fairly easy. Then one day 6 months later i'd had a bad day, pulled into a shell garage and bought 20 Bensons! Gutted.

I find it very difficult to quit when working at a PC all day as its so mind numbingly boring sitting there for 8 hours - its nice to go for a wander every hour outside and have a tab. I need to find a way to replace that.

Comment

What's worked for you?

Thanks in advance.
                    I have given up so many times now that I am an expert on this subject.

Seriously for a minute, Mrs Gonzo and I have tried all the options and we think that the most effective to get you past the cravings are the nicotine lozenges.

Patches we didn't like. They release nicotine in to your bloodstream at a slow rate which is a different from the quick hit that you get when you smoke a fag. They gave me nightmares too.

We found the nicotine lozenges to be the best approach for us. Just take one when you feel you need it and you are over the cravings pretty quickly.

Chewing gum should in theory work the same but it didn't seem to be as effective (for us).

We still smoke cigarettes when we are on holiday though. We want to give up, but we still like them.
                    Last edited by Gonzo; 22 April 2009, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X