• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

as a contractor, is it normal . . .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a contractor, is it normal . . .

to not have a ******* clue what's going on
    to be expected to use your own laptop
    to do 9 hours a day on a "daily" rate
    and to expect to get sacked each evening

?

as long as...

the client is renting your laptop to the project at a cost of circa 250 Euros per month

the daily rate for the 9 hour day is equal to 9 times your normal hourly rate for an eight hour day

then yes this is acceptable

Milan.

Comment

Yes to the first anyhow. I have been here 3 months and I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing or what the company does. They have tried telling me once or twice but I wasn't really interested.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
        then yes this is acceptable
        Monkey, is this your first contract? As milan says, yes it is acceptable, but they're not all that bad! You may find you next contract is an easy ride. At least you have variety, unlike a permie!

Comment

Originally posted by monkey
          That's a requirement for public sector contracting.

I found out this morning there is a programme I am meant to deliver. Buggers could have warned me, I've been posting crap on this forum for six months

Comment

to be expected to use your own laptop
            to do 9 hours a day on a "daily" rate
            and to expect to get sacked each evening

?
            My current contract meets all those criteria.

Comment

cheers guys

yup is 1st contract.

pros & cons. dosh is great but i have been stiffed for the extra hour. we started off with an hourly rate that was 'agreed' then they wanted to change it to daily and i wanted the gig. sure it's an old story. so i could:
              a) mention it & possibly get canned as have only been here 2 wks.
              b) wait until i've got it all sussed & then mention it
              c) speak to the agent
              d) get over it & take long lunches.

wrt laptop - didn't know if most contractors use their own or if is taking the piss.

the other 2 i can get over. i always think i'm going to get sacked, perm or contract & i rarely have a clue what's going on.

Comment

Monkey I'd have a word with tripitaka, he/she knows a thing or two. Failing that I'g get on your cloud and zip right out of there.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Yes to the first anyhow. I have been here 3 months and I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing or what the company does. They have tried telling me once or twice but I wasn't really interested.
                  Excellent Xogggoth, thats the kind of attitude which wins those renewals,I find tutting when asked to something quite effective as well ...

Comment

i always think i'm going to get sacked, perm or contract & i rarely have a clue what's going on.

You are a contractor, not a permie. Therefore you cannot be sacked, although you can have your contract terminated. That might sound like simple semantics but it's actually a mindset.

As for the second, that's pretty common. Permie management frequently fails to share important information with contractors (or permie staff). It's also comon for them to not understand what they need done; rather they have some vague idea that a contractor is needed and they will magically make the world right (hey, that's my last contract!).

Comment

Working...
                    X