• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car scrapping incentive...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car scrapping incentive...

Trying to imitate Germans in this incentive.

2 million already jobless and 1 million to follow.....Its too late Darling....

They'll have to reprint those car price guides - suddenly cars made in 1999 or below will go up in value...

Comment

Presumably 10 year old bangers have become slightly more valuable because of this.

Beat me to it!
      Last edited by BoredBloke; 22 April 2009, 13:58. Reason: too slow at typing
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

But most of the people will prefer to keep that 10 year old banger until doom is gone

Comment

Well if I was looking to buy a brand new car (not that I would as the depreciation is ludicrous) then I'd pick up a wreck for under a hundred to exploit this and then sell my old car privately.
          I'm not sure what they aim to achieve by this apart from subsidising new car sales.

Comment

Analysis seems to be that because the car industry will be responsible for paying half the £2000 plus paying to scrap the old car plus doing all the paperwork etc that new car prices may in fact rise to cover the shortfall.

Plus of course is that even if there were any benefit to the car industry, it would likely benefit foreign manufacturers since we have no car industry of our own to speak of.

This budget has been pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Well if I was looking to buy a brand new car (not that I would as the depreciation is ludicrous) then I'd pick up a wreck for under a hundred to exploit this and then sell my old car privately.
              I'm not sure what they aim to achieve by this apart from subsidising new car sales.
              stimulating

We'll see.

Comment

Apparently, this sort of incentive proved quite handy for Germany when they introduced it few months ago. However, for UK it may not be that good. 1) Its quite late now to persuade people to spend on new cars 2) Theres no big car industry(as compare to Germany or even France) apart from some plants of Foreign companies.

As TykeMerc mentioned , 'depreciation is ludricous', investment in car (unless you desperately need it ) would make you a proud owner of a toxic asset

Comment

In Germany, you have to have owned the car for a year prior to scrapping it, this closes the loophole the rich could exploit buying a wreck and using it to get £2k of the price of a new Beemer.

However the basic premise remains. If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Ans as the promised release of lending from banks has failed to materialise, then credit is no longer an option!
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                    If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Comment

Working...
                    X