• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Atlantic (economy)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Atlantic (economy)

Is it any good? I've flown KMN a few times (fairly good) and AA (OK). I see Virgin have individual video-screens which is very nice on a 10hr flight, but I wondered if there's anything they stand out on, or if all economy flights are similar as long as you stay clear of Ryan, easyJet et al?

Flying LGW->LAS, LAX->LHR for what it's worth. Hoping to drive from Vegas to LA through the desert, which could be very cool based on the aerial view.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I wondered if there's anything they stand out on
    SWF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS_6HHQ7jOA

HTH

Comment

Is it any good? I've flown KMN a few times (fairly good) and AA (OK). I see Virgin have individual video-screens which is very nice on a 10hr flight, but I wondered if there's anything they stand out on, or if all economy flights are similar as long as you stay clear of Ryan, easyJet et al?

Flying LGW->LAS, LAX->LHR for what it's worth. Hoping to drive from Vegas to LA through the desert, which could be very cool based on the aerial view.
      I flew economy from Heathrow to San Fran, internal flight Vegas and then LA back London. Miles better than British Airways, but if you can afford premium economy, go for that. The video screens are good. Its interactive so you can choose when and what you want to watch.

On the way back, we paid £50 extra for an emergency exit seat and stretched our legs. Only problem then is the screen has to be stowed on landing and takeoff.

Best thing we did in Vegas (apart from getting married!) was a helicopter flight to the Grand Canyon with a picnic on the canyon floor.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Went on Virgin economy to Vegas and to Mexico on a long distance flight on the flight to vegas we were on the older planes still pretty comftable tv on the the back seat of the front passingers when I went to Mexico we were on newer planes tv poped up from arm rest you even got to pick the films when you want to watch them rather then catch them every 2 hrs really impressed as a whole.

Comment

IMO, if you're more than 5' 7" you need to pay premium economy on Virgin. To fit the 36" premium economy seats in the aircraft, they seem to have reduced the leg room in standard economy by a couple of inches the last few years down to about 31". That's so they didn't have to remove rows of seats. I now actually rate Virgin alongside BA, ie pretty poor. For standard economy I rate 34" as an acceptable minimum. Do your research as some of the charter carriers now have better seat pitch. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Handy to know but I'm only 5'8" and my wife a few inches shorter so normally seats other consider as cramped are fine for me.
            Have noticed you can pay extra for exit seats, will see on the day... the online seat reservation shows only 7 seats on a 747 booked for over 1 month away, none together. I can't believe the plane is really that full or seats would be more expensive, so we'll have to try and get seats together on check-in. My wife's a really nervous flyer so hopefully that will help
            Premium economy was tempting since on one flight it was only ~£200 extra which for a 10 hour flight isn't bad at all.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm 5'11 and virgin economy LHR-San Fran was fine for me. The seat back entertainment is good but same as any airline with newer planes. The service was good, liberal with drinks.

I don't see the point in premium economy. The difference in price will be hundreds of pounds. Never flown it on virgin but have had free upgrades to the equivalent on BA and there was little difference. Would never pay for that myself.

Comment

Possibly, the flights to Orlando are different then?
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  From recent experience either they have great staff retention rates or the age discrimination legislation changes have hit them fairly hard.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Flew to NY, I am nearly 6' 3'' and about 15 stone and never really had a prob with the seats, fairly comfortable.

The KLM flight we were meant to get was cancelled and we were moved to virgin, the KLM flight on the way back was like sardines for me, seriously, could not move an inch in any direction.

Comment

Working...
                    X