• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make room on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make room on the bench

Shift up - current gig ends tomorrow, my choice since I hit the two year rule for expenses and (tbh) I've had enough anyway.

I know the market's bad but the war chest is good (sold the house last year) and summer is coming
    Do what thou wilt

been out in the sunshine today drinking champagne. happy days. enjoy.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Shift up - current gig ends tomorrow, my choice since I hit the two year rule for expenses and (tbh) I've had enough anyway.

I know the market's bad but the war chest is good (sold the house last year) and summer is coming
      You can have my place on the bench for 2 weeks. I am off to Bristol to enjoy
      some real ale+2%.
      WARNING . I want my bench place back in 2 weeks

Comment

Getting a bit squashed on this bench..

Still, when all those who claim it's no longer worth working because of all that tax, stop working, we'll all have jobs again! Boomed!
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

Still, when all those who claim it's no longer worth working because of all that tax, stop working, we'll all have jobs again! Boomed!
          This time is different (TM).

They'll work for us somewhere else in the world and we will get the money for it. Boomed!!! Tell ya...
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

I've already arrived there. Pension from June and then I will only work to supplement my income if I feel like it. I feel a bit sorry for you guys that will be screwed by this HMG and also the Tories to fill the black hole, but you do get what you vote for IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Sorry but you're crackers!

Giving up earning whatever your daily rate is because you can no longer claim travel expenses that are probably only 10% - 15% of your day rate? Stooopid, imo.

OK, I know you say you've had enough at your workplace but its still money you're losing in a tight market.

I've been without travel expenses for coming up to 12 months but so what? Im still earning my daily rate of over £300 a day on a 4 day week with £85 a week travel expenses. Im fed up with the 160 mile a day commute and if the market wasnt tight, I could consider looking elsewhere, but not right now!

Oh, and I've got a good war chest too but Im not about to whittle it down on a whim!

Good luck though!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X