• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Advice: Career Break: How to Explain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Advice: Career Break: How to Explain?

Hello,

Has anyone taken time out for personal reasons? If so, what's the best way to explain it on CV?

I haven't worked since last Feb 2008 as was made redundant, did a 6 week freelance project mgr job May 2008, then from July 2008 I looked after my mother until last month as she was terminally ill.

Should I put a paragraph at top briefly explaining? I don't want to sound maudlin but think my CV will just get binned when I send to agents if they see a big gap. The 6 week gig was agreed in advance with the agency, I didn't start then leave early.

So is it worth putting down the 6 weeks I did last year along with the freelance writing I'm doing at moment? Not sure if it'll all get a bit messy....any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I saw a CV last year with a 6 month gap explained as "recovering from an organ donation operation". Don't know if it was true or not as we never got the guy in for interview, but for originality I though it was a good one.

Comment

I've been out for the last six months, not for personal reasons just a knackered market and being a developer I opt explain this type of outage on my CV by including myCo in my work history along with a list of personal projects I've recently been working on in the guise of personal development and keeping my skills current etc.

Perhaps this could also work for you by including your writing work and any other personal projects you can come up with. The other thing you might want to think about is if you have any really nice clients or contacts in your work history that might offer to cover you for a few of these months off?
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

change Feb 08 to Feb 09, and don't worry about it.

Get the foot in the door.

Comment

None of their business! Can you do the work they need doing for a price they are prepared to pay? That's all that matters. Unfortunately not everyone at all stages along the way to your contract starting will see it that way, so just move the end date of the last one to a more recent date and if they ask about the remaining gap you were taking a break.

It does bug me that so many people think of a period of not working as somehow 'bad', for me the point of working freelance is to not be at some companies beck and call all my life.

It's sad that so many are so indoctrinated that they feel they should work all their lives, and worse, look for an explanation for why not from those that choose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
            It does bug me that so many people think of a period of not working as somehow 'bad', for me the point of working freelance is to not be at some companies beck and call all my life.

It's sad that so many are so indoctrinated that they feel they should work all their lives, and worse, look for an explanation for why not from those that choose not to.
            In the real world......

Agents, HR departments, Hiring Managers and Interviewers see a sizable gap as you being unemployable, useless, unreliable or a member of the awkward squad. It's not right, but it's a fact of life especially amongst permies that haven't got a clue what contractors really are and assume we're just permies in a slight disguise.

Comment

Whenever I have had a gap, I remembered a holiday I had been on, padded out the info and put down I had been travelling for x months.

So, a 1 month holiday in South America suddenly becomes 6 months travelling.

Just get some guide books and gush with enthusiasm when youre asked about it.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                In the real world......

Agents, HR departments, Hiring Managers and Interviewers see a sizable gap as you being unemployable, useless, unreliable or a member of the awkward squad. It's not right, but it's a fact of life especially amongst permies that haven't got a clue what contractors really are and assume we're just permies in a slight disguise.
                Depends on your C.V. and references, obviously. There are lots of things wrong with recruiting, experience is one of the things I hate, if someone has 10 years experience does that mean they are good or have they been writing tulip code for ten years? Degrees are another, does this piece of paper separate one person from the next? Does it hell, most of the people I know with I.T. related degrees should have chosen another career. Whilst I understand that agencies and employers have to find a way to filter the list of applicants I feel that a ten minute phone call with a potential candidate is enough for a potential employer or agency to determine if someone has the ability for a given role.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  In the real world......

WHS

In one interview for a contract a few years back some mong pointed out that my CV showed several contracts of six months or a year, and one of only three months, and had the cheek to ask if that indicated incompetence.

Resisting the temptation to punch him, I pointed out that contracts tend to be shorter than permie engagements and most of mine had been extended in three monthly increments. Some permies really are clueless cretins.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When I had a discussion with the client before starting this job 11 months ago it was commented that I had been to some clients more than once for 3 to 6 month spells, so that was "the saving grace". "We don't want anyone who could be off at the drop of a hat" I was told. They should recruiit a friggin' permie then Subsequently, I found out that the client bloke is a permatractor and has been there for years
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X