• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling to work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling to work

as it's now summer I went out yesterday and bought a cheap 55€ bike and decided to cycle to work

I'm now having second thoughts on my plan to merrily cycle to work each day as I can't think of anything more unattractive than a wheezing young gent such as myself coughing up phlem on the cycle path at 8am in the morning.. it's 4.5km for gods sake !!

how long does this torture go on for before it gets easier?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    as it's now summer I went out yesterday and bought a cheap 55€ bike and decided to cycle to work

I'm now having second thoughts on my plan to merrily cycle to work each day as I can't think of anything more unattractive than a wheezing young gent such as myself coughing up phlem on the cycle path at 8am in the morning.. it's 4.5km for gods sake !!

Are you trying to impress your new girlfriend?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      Are you trying to impress your new girlfriend?
      not really, she lives in Manchester, although yes she does cycle 15km each way to work and back daily which I highly support given the fantastic results it has on her stomach and arse..

the main reasoning is that it's more appealing being in the sun each morning/evening than it is being underground.. plus I'll get some orientation of the city rather than knowing it by tube stops.

Comment

not really, she lives in Manchester, although yes she does cycle 15km each way to work and back daily which I highly support given the fantastic results it has on her stomach and arse..

the main reasoning is that it's more appealing being in the sun each morning/evening than it is being underground.. plus I'll get some orientation of the city rather than knowing it by tube stops.
        She cycles in Manchester! - Respect is due
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If you keep it up during the winter then next spring it will feel slightly easier. HTH
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            If you keep it up during the winter then next spring it will feel slightly easier. HTH
            winter !! f u c k that

Comment

4.5km ? That's not really very far. Stop whining and get pedaling.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                4.5km ? That's not really very far. Stop whining and get pedaling.
                I know it's not far, but I suspect the roast pork sandwiches for breakfast, the odd cigarette and a substantial amount of alcohol might have something to do with it..

Comment

I know it's not far, but I suspect the roast pork sandwiches for breakfast, the odd cigarette and a substantial amount of alcohol might have something to do with it..
                  so you should have let the bike stay at home and have run/jogged to work
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    so you should have let the bike stay at home and have run/jogged to work
                    whoa steady on there, a nice 15min cycle to work in the sun is one thing, a full on fitness regime is something very different..

Comment

Working...
                    X