• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone else..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else..

find this article messed up?
    It keeps going on about "contractors" yet contractors actually only compromised about 4% of those polled (and wonder how many were help desk jockys, who i generally find to be temps pretending to be contractors)

Thing that most blows this article out of the water for me is
    Half of contractors responding said they were using a temporary placement as a stepping-stone to secure permanent employment.
    That to me makes you a temp with a ltd (or umbrella) not a contractor.

wasn't this part of a wider discussion around temp workers and their rights?
    But you're right, there is a difference between a temp and a contractor...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

...not at all, the ultimate goal of any contractor is permanent employment..I think I read it somewhere that the ultimate accolade as a contractor, is to receive a permie job offer
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

you could have a valid point there BB. After all - I'm in permanent employment via my Ltd...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Perhaps we should be calling ourselves FREElance? I think it is more descriptive of how I feel I am employed.

Comment

Originally posted by steve'O
            Perhaps we should be calling ourselves FREElance? I think it is more descriptive of how I feel I am employed.
            To me "freelance" is another category altogether.
            When i am doing a contract that is not paid by the hour/day but rather a set fee for the whole project i don't really consider myself a contractor as much as a freelancer

Comment

Working...
            X