• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accident stories...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accident stories...

I know you'll all be thinking this is entirely relevant to contracting.

Let's share those grisly and amusing tales of near-oblivion on the roads/paths/wherever. In a car, on a bike or motorbike, or even just changing a lightbulb or climbing a ladder.

A true 'time slowed down' moment for me, and in a way it was awesome:
    Was seeing how fast I could go on a new pushbike some years ago, and wellied it up to top gear at around 35mph down a country lane.
    Then - wallop - my bike simply wasn't underneath me anymore, it just wasn't there. Bizarre, I thought to myself, looking down at the road, and my hands in the drop-handlebars position but no bars.

This seemed to go on with me travelling forwards in space on a no-bike for a few seconds, as I wondered where my bike had gone.

As gravity 'slowly' pulled me to the floor, I had time to think about how I was going to land, and prepared myself, gloved hands outstretched, trying not to destroy my knees...

As I landed and slid along the road, I looked up, and saw my bike fly above and past me, turning a perfect somersault in the air, and crashing to the ground, destroying the rims, forks and bars, and pretty much everything.

I got up and a passer-by was running towards me to check if I was ok. Turns out my tyre had hit a small rock and the bike just flipped up and around me. I had some grazes and torn patches of clothing, a knackered bike, but I just started laughing.

Bizarre how time seems to slow down like this.

Agreed...

On holiday in Zante in my youth and after a night of drinking me and my mates thought it would be a good idea to race back on our mopeds to another bar along the beach. All was well till I hit a dry patch of sand and yes time suddenly slowed......My bike was already grounded, but I was still going, in the distance I could hear Free fallin' by Tom Petty ( I kid you not, it still makes me wince till this day) i managed to work out how I was going to land and my left shoulder took the impact, white pain followed by a few sumersaults and I come to a halt. Shoulder was hurting, but we continued drinking for another few hours.

Later on in the hospital the doc said that I has dislocated my shoulder and whilst rolling it had popped back in again!!!
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      Bizarre how time seems to slow down like this.
      I have a theory that the otherwise dormant part of your brain languishing in the sub-conscious kicks into action and that things seem to run slower simply because you are that much more aware of your surroundings.

I suspect (and have had a number of incidents where this has happened) that this occurs when the incident is either potentially fatal or the extent of possible injury is high.

It's the same when you are driving your car and moments before an accident you can see everything that is happening, or is going to happen, and yet you largely feel powerless in preventing it.

Guess it's that self-preservation thing - not unlike the go-faster "Turbo" button on older PCs.

Comment

time doesnt slow down, your brain simply works faster to compute what's happened as it's received an

"errr no seriously something isn't right at the moment and it's really not in a good way" type message from various parts of the body's senses

similar thing happened to me when I had a car crash, in short it involved me trying to "power slide" a mk 1 ford fiesta around a snow covered housing estate corner

results were a 720 degree spin followed by an abrupt stop into a neighbours brick wall... all I could think was "ooo this is going to hurt" as the wall very slowly span towards me.. a spiderman dodging punches moment
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Back in 'Nam, Danang I think it was, I was trying to shoot these gooks, but I had left my safety on. Dang! and Blast! Then in all the excitement I shot my buddy Brad in the bum cheek. Blast! literally!

Threaded.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlightyBoy View Post
            I have a theory that the otherwise dormant part of your brain languishing in the sub-conscious kicks into action and that things seem to run slower simply because you are that much more aware of your surroundings.

I suspect (and have had a number of incidents where this has happened) that this occurs when the incident is either potentially fatal or the extent of possible injury is high.

It's the same when you are driving your car and moments before an accident you can see everything that is happening, or is going to happen, and yet you largely feel powerless in preventing it.

Guess it's that self-preservation thing - not unlike the go-faster "Turbo" button on older PCs.
            Have you seen Wanted? If you could tap into that the possibilities could be endless...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

My theory is (and I'm sure there'll be a link out there) that the perception of time is relative according to the variance in processing cycles of the brain and the corresponding change in the interval of visual persistence.

So say, if through the effect of visual persistence we perceive approximately 30 'frames' or processing cycles per second this will become our baseline - but the elevated levels of adrenaline in such an incident may increase the 'intervals per second' we process and thus the perception is that time slows.

Comment

Doing a backside 360 off a big park tabletop on my snowboard, hit the kicker at speed, started my rotation and caught a back-edge, flipped up into the air and landed on my head and shoulder - shattered my collarbone in two places and had a bone sticking up making my skin look like a little tent pole ...

Reckon that's my best, rest are stupid drunks things like too many absinthe's in Amsterdam and barely avoiding falling backwards into a canal by some drug dealer grabbing me by the front of my tee shirt as I was lent backwards over the canal ...
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  elevated levels of adrenaline in such an incident may increase the 'intervals per second' we process and thus the perception is that time slows.
                  If that is the case (and I am not disagreeing with you, as my theory is similar), would it not mean that the same "effect" would be experienced during other periods of elevated adrenaline levels?

I am sure that the levels of adrenaline must relate to the way that neurons fire, and thus, as you say, we perceive time as slowing down?

Would the inverse (i.e. time speeding up) be true if the levels of adrenaline were very low? I don't think so. I am bored out of my skull at work today, adrenaline is very low and yet time just seems to be dragging on and on and on and on ....

Comment

Yep, not sure if the theory holds up, as when it's a slow day it just draaaaaaaaags on. Also - the adage 'time flies when you're having fun' wouldn't make sense.

Hmm.

Comment

Working...
                    X