• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New York - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York - advice needed

Taking my 16 yr old daughter + rellies to NY for a shopping trip at the end of june, for a week.
    I have checked this out on-line, but the advice from the guys here is always top notch.

Can I get a subway pass that will cover NY and Newark jointly, for a week ?
    What is cheap cf the UK ?
    What to avoid
    What is a must

TIA
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Taking my 16 yr old daughter + rellies to NY for a shopping trip at the end of june, for a week.
    I have checked this out on-line, but the advice from the guys here is always top notch.

What to avoid
    What is a must

TIA
    I haven't been, however I hear "Ground Zero" is a must. Apparently gut wrenching
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

What to avoid
      What is a must

TIA
      Top of the Rock - much better than the skanky Empire State, IMO. Someone on here reccomended it to me

Bryant Park - very pretty, with lots of little shops in the park.

Do the open top Bus thingy - it's great you can get a 2 or 5 day hop on, hop off ticket. The one I did, had 2 routes so you got to see a fair bit of the Island. And the hop on malarkey is handy.

Have you booked a hotel yet EO?
      Last edited by cailin maith; 23 April 2009, 12:36.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
        I haven't been, however I hear "Ground Zero" is a must. Apparently gut wrenching
        Very emotional! And a tiny bit morbid.... I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it at all.
        Bazza gets caught

Comment

Staten Island Ferry - great view of South Manhatten & free!
          Top of The Rockerfeller Centre - great view
          St Patricks - great architecture if you're into that.
          All American brandede clothes are cheap - Gap, Hilfiger, Levi's, etc.
          Marriott nr Times Square has a revolving restaurant on the 40th (not sure?) floor.
          Grand Central Station is really cool and a great oyster bar there.
          I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Very emotional! And a tiny bit morbid.... I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it at all.
            Very morbid and people trying to make money out of selling things there.
            I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Very much so - especially if you knew it well before 911 (Windows on the World was an amazing restaurant). It is also interesting to look at the names of the companies in the surrounding buildings and think how fortunate it was that both buildings collapsed without toppling over even a little bit

As you say though....gut wrenching to see it now.

I also heartily recommend doing a helicopter tour - it is worth every cent.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                Staten Island Ferry - great view of South Manhatten & free!
                Top of The Rockerfeller Centre - great view
                St Patricks - great architecture if you're into that.
                All American brandede clothes are cheap - Gap, Hilfiger, Levi's, etc.
                Marriott nr Times Square has a revolving restaurant on the 40th (not sure?) floor.
                Grand Central Station is really cool and a great oyster bar there.
                I forgot about that.... it was one of my fave places! I was gobsmacked at how nice it was and how good the food was, not to mention the variety!!

Staten Island ferry is good too!
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  Very much so - especially if you knew it well before 911 (Windows on the World was an amazing restaurant). It is also interesting to look at the names of the companies in the surrounding buildings and think how fortunate it was that both buildings collapsed without toppling over even a little bit

As you say though....gut wrenching to see it now.

I also heartily recommend doing a helicopter tour - it is worth every cent.
                  Last year was my first time, so it was all new to me. It was emotional though. I have family in NYC. My cousin died 3 - 4 days after 9/11 - Family from this side of the pond struggled to make it to the States for the funeral (he was 4) and even worse it took ages to be able to bury him as all the undertakers were so busy 9/11 reminds me a lot of Jack.
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Top of the Rock - much better than the skanky Empire State, IMO. Someone on here reccomended it to me

Bryant Park - very pretty, with lots of little shops in the park.

Do the open top Bus thingy - it's great you can get a 2 or 5 day hop on, hop off ticket. The one I did, had 2 routes so you got to see a fair bit of the Island. And the hop on malarkey is handy.

Have you booked a hotel yet EO?
                    Thanks chaps, thats a good list so far, I am also hiring a car and taking a few of them up to Buffalo to see the falls, that should keep me out of mischief for a couple of days

CM - the hotel is on frontage in Newark, cant remember the name right now

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X