• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance - accident - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance - accident - advice needed

I had a little bump last summer, no damage to my car. The other driver was on mEdication and was at fault (imo) and suffered £700 worth of damage.
    My insurer asked me if I would go to court. yes.
    They told me last night that the other guy was contesting it, so they were going to settle for 50/50, to save on court costs.

Even if I dont have any claim (no damage) this will affect my no-claims ?

TIA

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I would have thought so. Your insurance company is paying out afterall.

Rhubarb.

Comment

do you have no claims bonus protection?
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        do you have no claims bonus protection?
        I've never understood how that works.
        If you get an insurance quote they ask you if you've made a claim in the last 3 years - and you'll have to answer yes, even if you do have protection.
        Does that not go against you ?

Rhubarb.

Comment

Do you have legal insurance for traffic related matters? Maybe you can sue him yourself, and get his insurance to pay out to cover your losses.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
            I've never understood how that works.
            If you get an insurance quote they ask you if you've made a claim in the last 3 years - and you'll have to answer yes, even if you do have protection.
            Does that not go against you ?

Rhubarb.
            Your no claims protection protects the discount applied to the premium. The premium set by the insurance company is dependent upon the type of car you drive, number of points on your licence, whether or not you have crashed in recent times etc...

So if you crash it will go up irrespective of protected no claims..
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
              Your no claims protection protects the discount applied to the premium. The premium set by the insurance company is dependent upon the type of car you drive, number of points on your licence, whether or not you have crashed in recent times etc...

So if you crash it will go up irrespective of protected no claims..
              when I applied for the insurance, I was asked how many years no-claims. I was not asked about crashes . There was no definition of no-claims.

So I am in the position of having never claimed for myself, but having been in a collision that I dont think was my fault. At the time I applied for my current insurance cover, I had been told that the collision wasnt my fault and that there would be a court case

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                when I applied for the insurance, I was asked how many years no-claims. I was not asked about crashes . There was no definition of no-claims.

So I am in the position of having never claimed for myself, but having been in a collision that I dont think was my fault. At the time I applied for my current insurance cover, I had been told that the collision wasnt my fault and that there would be a court case

Were you distracted by your pepperami at the time?
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Really? That's quite unusual! Usually insurance companies will ask about collisions rather than no claims, they will also include 'non fault' collisions in their questions - though they are not *supposed* to use that information in determining the premium.

So I am in the position of having never claimed for myself, but having been in a collision that I dont think was my fault. At the time I applied for my current insurance cover, I had been told that the collision wasnt my fault and that there would be a court case.
                  Not sure I follow exactly.. Have you changed insurance co. since your bump last summer then? Or do you just mean this year's premium from same co?

If the latter I suspect you will lose your no claims discount (unless protected); 50/50 cases result in both insurance co's splitting the cost irrespective of the claimant. I.e. in your example your insurance will pay £350 as will the other party's.
                  Last edited by Ravello; 24 April 2009, 08:12. Reason: quote tags
                  Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    Were you distracted by your pepperami at the time?
                    No, some GP changed lanes and pulled into me, we touched wheel arches and I stopped. He carried on and got his whole side scored, I had a little mark on my bumper.
                    To add insult to injury, he wrote his details out on a bit of card that was a box for some tablets. The prescription was for himself and said 'do not drive'

I am in two minds, part of me says forget it, the other part say's life in prison seems fair, the swine

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X