• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2032 before debt is back to normal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2032 before debt is back to normal

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6157713.ece

"Decades of pain ahead to repair nation’s coffers

It will be not be until February 27, 2032, when those now in their late thirties are approaching retirement, that the country’s national debt once again falls back into line with Gordon Brown’s former fiscal rules, an influential think-tank said yesterday.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said that it would take more than 22 years for the public debt, which the Chancellor forecast would balloon to nearly 80 per cent of national income, to drop back to 40 per cent.

It warned that the country should brace itself for “two Parliaments of pain” as the Government scrambled to repair the damage caused by the financial crisis and the resulting £90 billion-a-year black hole in its coffers.

Alistair Darling was forced to suspend Mr Brown’s borrowing rule, which stated that borrowing should not exceed 40 per cent of national income, in November."

now that's not good no matter how you look at it..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Maybe Labour Party should be banned until such time that their debts are repaid and labour party members get to pay extra tax to help out...

Comment

Got to give Broon credit for one thing, he HAS ended boom and bust

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Seriously, they should not be allowed to borrow like this - It's going to have a devestating effect on every single one of us
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Hope the house price bubble was worth it.

Comment

WHS (x4)

We are truly, entirely and completely fcuked - and I'm glad that I'll be working out of the country for the next five years!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Got to give Broon credit for one thing, he HAS ended boom and bust

True... he ended BOOM !!!

Comment

You are such a bunch of neer-do-wells - lets spend another 20 Billion - no hell make its 200 Billion on a new Doomsday Bomb - and Devil take the Hindermost !!!!

That wil be the Ulitimate Boom !

I guess its all just bad karma for Blairs War in Iriaq.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  "Decades of pain ahead to repair nation’s coffers

It will be not be until February 27, 2032
                  ...Assuming nothing catastrophically expensive happens in the next 23 years, seriously we are fecked forever and nothing will ever be the same.

I’m starting to get the feeling that job hunting is a complete waste of effort, I’d be better off trying to get fit or grow some vegetables or something… just had my mother on the phone asking if I’ve tried the job centre. x10
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    I’d be better off trying to get fit or grow some vegetables or something… just had my mother on the phone asking if I’ve tried the job centre. x10
                    Good thinking Mum; plenty of vegetables at the job centre.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X