• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky satellite signal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky satellite signal

Would the addition of a porch to the front of a house impact reception from a Sky satellite dish - the dish is mounted at the front of the house just below the upper room windows.

Since the porch has been built, some channels are displaying a 'Signal cannot be found message' or the picture breaks up/freezes regularly.

If so, would it be a simple case of re-aligning the dish?

Wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

If the dish is pointing to the sky I can't see how a building that is not in the line of sight can affect it? It's probably been knocked, I think the vertical axis is locked so you may want to get a spanner or alen key out and do a bit of trial and error from side to side with the signal page displayed, mark where you started from though.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Would the addition of a porch to the front of a house impact reception from a Sky satellite dish - the dish is mounted at the front of the house just below the upper room windows.

Since the porch has been built, some channels are displaying a 'Signal cannot be found message' or the picture breaks up/freezes regularly.

If so, would it be a simple case of re-aligning the dish?

Wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.
      Your LNB has probably moved ever so slightly. It can be fixed with a ladder and a broom/spirit level if you know what your doing - otherwise leave it to the professionals
      Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
      I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Ours has moved in the wind before now. On another occaision the LNB was U/S. They don't last forever. If you looked on EBay you can buy a meter pretty cheap to measure the signal strength so one person can do an alignment. Otherwise it's a 2 person job. One person inside watching the signal strength meter on the box/telly and shouting/mobile phone to the person outside moving the dish.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

What they Said....

I've got my dish in my attic and there's no probs whatsoever.
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Worth the £20-30 to have a pro come in and re-align it. They do
            get knocked around by the wind.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Thanks guys.

I think the builders who built the porch must have nudged it as, overall, it looks to be in the same position as before.

Comment

In the attic?

That works OK? wow.

Doesn't the signal fall when it rains? Do you need a larger dish?

Maybe I will buy a dish then. Always avoided buying one as it would ruin the look of the outside.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

we had similar problems, and it used to lock up if you tuned certain channels. They replaced the lnb, the sky engineer said it had leaked and was full of water.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveV View Post
                    we had similar problems, and it used to lock up if you tuned certain channels. They replaced the lnb, the sky engineer said it had leaked and was full of water.
                    Yes, that's right, our has done that. We've had 3 or 4 new LNB's over the years since SKY started.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X