• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

a tax too far?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a tax too far?

The hysteria over punitive taxation in Britain has aven reached the Times, which is polling readers to see if they plane to leave the UK because of high taxes. This keeps coming up here, so I'd like to ask for views: is anyone thinking of leaving the UK for somewhere civilised, because tax is a lot lower there?

So where would that be then? OK we know of far-flung places with expat compounds; gin-in-the-sun places where you can burn easily and eat and drink cheaply but not do much else; and a few microstates like Andorra, which however are not much interested in people like us who may make a decent working income but don't have real money. Apart from that, all I can think of is Switzerland, which is at least seriously on the low side of normal (but far from tax-free).

Is there anywhere with very low tax, that you would like to live in anyway were it not for the tax?

Not personally at this moment because of family ties...but I know of three people without such ties who are actively planning to up sticks. And those are just the people I know about. One has his own business and employs seven people, one is a doctor and the other is one of them there scummy low-life bloodsucking IT contractor thingies

The crucial point people are missing is the psychological message that 50% tax has...because at that level the government is taking at least half of everything you earn from that point on. It perhaps wouldn't be so bad if they were spending it on something worthwhile...but wars, ID cards and public sector pensions isn't my idea of "something worthwhile".
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

PM Junkie wrote : scummy low-life bloodsucking IT contractor thingies

recruitment agent
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        The crucial point people are missing is the psychological message that 50% tax has...because at that level the government is taking at least half of everything you earn from that point on. It perhaps wouldn't be so bad if they were spending it on something worthwhile...but wars, ID cards and public sector pensions isn't my idea of "something worthwhile".
        ID cards will provide enormous work opportunities for contractors. Bring it on I say.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

I am not, because I have already gone. But that wasn't for tax reasons.

I think it is all a bit of hot hair really. Anyone who works and is mobile would already have gone to a lower tax environment if paying tax bothered them so much.

I don't think that putting the top rate of tax up from 40 to 50 per cent will be the straw that breaks any camels backs.

But in the longer term it will make the UK a less attractive place for anyone to base themselves and that will be the death of the City of London as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            I am not, because I have already gone.
            Me too.

Only back in the UK for medical treatment (finished, I hope) and some legal stuff. After that I'm gone.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

This tax increase is not big enough to make lots of people leave however it's big enough to restructure earnings and avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Is there anywhere with very low tax, that you would like to live in anyway were it not for the tax?
                Original question still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Original question still stands.
                  Wife's buddy (the doctor) is off to the USA (Montana - apparently it's nice there?), the other two are off to Canada - not sure where though.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

For me this budget has provided an incentive to leave the uk because of how apparent it now is just how much doo-doo this place is in. And their solution? Borrow, quantitive easing, Ludricous predictions about an upturn. These clowns couldn't find their 4rses with both hands.

The uk is plainly going to do nothing but get worse over the next 10+ years, it is not a place I am keen to stay in or raise a family in or fight off ever desperate chavs in.

Everywhere will become a dump, public services will face cuts, taxes will rise further, chavs will breed even more than they are doing already due to their being even fewer options than even now.

The 50% thing has little to do with it, it's just another relatively minor symptom of an enormous problem ; Labour being in power. Their 10 years will take another 10+ years to repair, Im not keen to be here for it, life is too short.

Where is there to go?

Comment

Working...
                    X